Control & Instrumentation Technician
Are you a control & instrumentation technician with proven experience in supporting and maintaining electronic control and data acquisition systems?
The CODAS & IT (Control and Data Acquisition System and Information Technology) Department is responsible for the top-level (SCADA) software and hardware required for the operation of JET, the JET mass data store, site-wide computing and IT systems and the site-wide office and operational networks. The department has four groups, one of which is the Control & Data Acquisition Systems Group who are responsible for all distributed computerised systems that are used for the control, monitoring and data acquisition on JET. The group has an electronics section which supports all equipment that interfaces to the JET plant and Diagnostic systems as well as providing electronics support to MAST.
Within the electronics section, we are seeking a control & instrumentation (C&I) technician to become a member of a team supporting the CODAS data acquisition hardware.
The main responsibilities of the role are:
- To provide double shift support of CODAS systems during JET operational phases as well as 24-hour on-call support of critical systems.
- To provide design, installation, commissioning and maintenance support for all CODAS control and data acquisition and electronic systems as well as new enhancement projects.
The UK Atomic Energy Authority have an excellent opportunity for an experienced C&I technician to join their team within the CODAS&IT department. The team consists of circa six employees and are responsible for all hardware aspects of the CODAS Control and Data Acquisition systems as well as key safety systems.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities include:
- The installation and commissioning of control & acquisition upgrades by the following of a design package.
- Provide rostered double shift support for CODAS hardware systems during JET operational campaigns. (approximately 1 week in 3).
- * Provide year-round rostered 24-hour support for critical systems. (approximately 1 week in 6)
- * Resolution of faults on JET to reduce downtime. This requires the ability to react and solve complex problems using their own initiative.
- Performance testing, evaluating and repairing of electronic modules.
- Installation and commissioning of site network infrastructure. - The electrical safety testing of equipment and enclosures.
- Routine planned maintenance of both cubicles and equipment.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
Knowledge skills and experience
- Time served apprenticeship with an HNC/HND qualification in electrical engineering, instrumentation, electronics, or a related discipline.
- Proven experience of computer-controlled data acquisition, instrumentation and control electronics.
- An ability to apply technical expertise to solving problems.
- Experience of working as part of a team with an ability to adapt to a variety of requirements and tasks.
- This role will require you to work casual shifts
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
More searches like this
- Control & Instrumentation Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Electrical Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Electronics Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Maintenance & Service Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Systems Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer