The IET is one of the world’s leading professional societies for the engineering and technology community, with more than 150,000 members in 127 countries and offices in Europe, North America and Asia-Pacific. The IET provides a global knowledge network to facilitate the exchange of ideas and promote the positive role of science, engineering and technology in the world.
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) has more than 150,000 members worldwide;
- The IET was formed in March 2006 by the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) and the Institution of Incorporated Engineers (IIE);
- We have active networks of members in 37 countries around the world;
- Inspec is the leading English language bibliographic information service for scientific and technical literature;
- Over 120 conferences and events are organised by the IET every year;
- The IET publishes more than 100 new titles every year; a rich mix of books, journals and magazines with a back catalogue of more that 500 publications;
- The IET provides professional advice to Parliament, Government and other agencies and produces factfiles and briefings available to the public;
- The IEE Wiring Regulations are published by the IET;
- IET Faraday, an award-winning educational resource, reaches all schools in the UK with the aim of enthusing young people about science, technology and engineering. This year, 180 secondary schools will take part in the Faraday Engineering Challenge Days;
- The professional registration qualifications ICT Technician (ICTTech), Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Chartered Engineer (CEng) are awarded by the IET under licence from the Engineering Council;
- Approximately £200,000 worth of scholarships, prizes and grants are awarded to students and young professionals each year;
- Over 1,000 undergraduate programmes in the UK are accredited by the IET;
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology is registered as a Charity in England and Wales (no 211014) and Scotland (no SC038698).
Join the IET
Join one of the largest science, engineering and technology institutions in the world.
IET membership provides you with a professional home for life. It allows you to engage with the IET global engineering and technology community and access essential products and services for an annual membership subscription fee.
So why not join the IET today?
Careers and Training
The IET offers a range of professional registration, professional development, and other career related information. Structuring your professional development will help you achieve your professional goals faster and more effectively whatever career stage you have reached. Our Career development section provides help on what to do and how the IET provides support.
The IET organises hundreds of events each year, in the UK and beyond. Detailed information on upcoming engineering and technology events can be found in our events calendar.