International Women in Engineering Day is an international campaign that has been running for the last eight years and takes place every year on the 23rd of June. This year we will be celebrating the amazing work that female engineers around the world are doing and have done. There are women in engineering that do work every day to improve the life of others and the society we live in.
This is an opportunity to look back on everything women have accomplished in engineering, how they have played their part throughout history and help young people interested in STEM subjects see what exciting opportunities a career in engineering can bring. We aim to show women and girls around the world that there is a place for them in the engineering industry if they look for it. People of all backgrounds and genders deserve the chance to do what they love and the aim of INWED is to get them excited and involved.
This year’s theme is Engineering Heroes. The Women’s Engineering Society (WES) aims to get as many people as possible, involved with virtual activities. It’s their aim to reach as many people as possible and get people up and involved in the events we have planned for this year!
So, what can you get involved with this International Women in Engineering Day?
- Be inspired by a panel of presenters that represent female engineering heroes by getting involved in their webinar. Click here to be taken to the page to register your interest.
- Join others for presentations and conversations ‘Empowering STEM in our Communities’.
- Webinar: How to become an ‘underwater astronaut’ Speaker: Izzy Penney MEng, Royal Navy Submarine Service
- A taste of…Engineering Imagination! - Join Sheffield University on their Facebook Page at: www.facebook.com/sheffunieng on Saturday 19th June from 10:30am. This online event is aimed at 4-10-year olds, but anyone can join in. Every year, in celebration of International Women in Engineering Day, they bring engineering to the streets of Sheffield through their Engineering Imagination event.
- You can also Join the ‘Stemettes’ for an hour-long event celebrating the contributions of women to STEM on International Women in Engineering Day 2021. They will discuss building a better STEM industry for the future together with a panel of female role models across STEM industry, entrepreneurship, and academia.
There is a huge list of other events and ideas you can be a part of on the INWED2021 website. If you feel like there isn’t anything for you or if you want to do something extra for STEM in your community, you can even register your own event! Time to get creative.
You don’t need to be an engineer or a woman to get involved, this day of recognition is for everyone to share their experiences and learn more about engineering history.
Spread the word!
- Attend or host an INWED event (Virtually of course)
- Send INWED a picture of yourself at work that can be used in our photo gallery
- Become a STEM Ambassador
- Promote the 2021 theme #Engineeringheroes
This global awareness campaign aims to increase the profile of women in engineering worldwide and focus attention on the amazing career opportunities available to girls in engineering and related industries.
If you want to find out more and get involved, click here to head over to the INWED website.