System Engineer – Information Management Capability Owner
General Dynamics UK is looking for engineers to be part of an exciting new programme for the Ministry of Defence that will modernise the existing tactical mobile network for the British Armed Forces. The programme delivers new capability and performance of the computing, communications and situational awareness for the soldier.
The programme will develop and deliver a new system based on an open tactical CIS architecture that integrates existing and new communication products. The system includes specification and procurement of software and hardware products as well as development of new hardware and software products and software interfaces to open up the existing tactical CIS system to support reduced integration effort and cost while enabling the system for future evolution with new technology and capability.
In order to deliver the TP programme GDMS have adopted an Agile Methodology in the form of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®) and is applying it across the whole system and product development lifecycle. This is as a step change approach from traditional waterfall delivery model designed to enable continuous delivery and validation of solutions, with flexibility to respond to changing customer requirements, foster innovation and promote collaborative working between team and Customer stakeholders based on shared interest, values and goals.
The role is for an experienced system engineer with relevant subject matter expertise that can be applied to the specification, design, development and validation of solutions for hosting of applications and services on the EvO infrastructure. This is a senior appointment and is suited to a motivated individual who is willing to step up, take ownership and lead the definition of capability to be delivered, working closely with the customer and development teams to ensure high level requirements are translated into working solutions that can be regularly demonstrated through the agile programme increments.
Capability Owner at the SAFe® Value Stream level with responsibility for defining system capability to be delivered through 12 week programme increments (PI) including:
- Decomposition of higher level customer requirements into capabilities, features and high level designs to be developed into working solutions by Agile Release Teams (ARTs)
- Develop and maintain roadmap for system capabilities
- Guide agile teams through development ensuring working systems meet the solution intent
- Participation in regular SAFe ceremnies including Sync meetings, Kanban for work planning and priortisation
- Liason with Agile Release Team(s), other Capability Owners, System Architects and support/specialist engineers to ensure a coherent system design is achieved e.g. cross functional dependencies resolved, non-functional constraints considered, interface definitions agreed
- Experience in using the SAFe / Agile methodologies for systems or software development
Experienced in the use of one or more the following engineering tools: DOORs, PTC Integrity Modeller, IBM Rational Rhapsody, RTC, RQM