General Dynamics UK is looking for engineers to be part of an exciting new programme for the Ministry of Defence that will modernise the existing tactical mobile network for the British Armed Forces. The programme delivers new capability and performance of the computing, communications and situational awareness for the soldier.
The programme will develop and deliver a new system based on an open tactical CIS architecture that integrates existing and new communication products. The system includes specification and procurement of software and hardware products as well as development of new hardware and software products and software interfaces to open up the existing tactical CIS system to support reduced integration effort and cost while enabling the system for future evolution with new technology and capability.
To meet this challenge, General Dynamics UK is looking for Engineering and Project Managers, System Architects, Systems Engineers, Platform Engineers, Software Engineers and Test Engineers to work on the development, integration and test of the system and products.
The role requires a candidate who is technically strong in this Tactical Communications and Information Systems (TacCIS) domain, with sound judgement and comfortable with abstract thinking. Highly proficient communication skills are required both internally and with customers and end users.
- Work with the external and internal stakeholders to clarify outcomes & requirements and agree designs/solutions to satisfy those requirements. Solutions may take the form of Systems, Products (software & hardware) and Services.
- Undertake analysis of design changes to confirm feasibility and impacts on the outcomes our stakeholders seek to achieve.
- Co-creation of solutions to meet stakeholder needs, working in collaboration with Customers, 3rd parties and other GD business units.
- Co-creation of business cases to secure funding, working in collaboration with Business Development and Programme Management.
- Accurate and timely reporting of progress and escalation of issues to Programme and Engineering management.
- Present outputs of work, conclusions and recommendations at internal and external reviews and demonstrations.
- Responsible for time management of self and team ensuring work outputs delivered to agreed schedule
- Present and demonstrate aspects of solutions to relevant stakeholders to gain feedback on the development activities and support future improvements.
- Work with specialist and support engineering groups (including security, safety, ILS, human factors) as required to validate designs
- Oversee and contribute to integration and testing activities on prototype solutions to validate designs and ensure compliance with requirements
- Breadth of experience in a role that demonstrates technical leadership and application of system engineering skills with a track record of delivery.
- Demonstrates understanding of the system engineering lifecycle and phases, and challenges associated with system engineering in a delivery focussed, commercially successful organisation.
- Experienced in engineering methods and tools for elaborating system requirements.
- Experience in Service Based Design and Delivery
- Experience in software engineering and development methodologies e.g. Agile
- Experience in cross-platform solutions e.g. Windows, Android, IOS, Unix
- Experienced in engineering methods and tools for system modelling (SysML)
- A belief in and understanding of the benefits of Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
- Confident and effective dealing with Customers, End Users and external 3rd Parties.
- Familiar with tactical network infrastructures including networks, radios and system management considerations.
- Good understanding of messaging and routing protocols, TCP/IP, UDP, including those applicable to wireless (as well as wired) environments
- Knowledge of security processes and controls for secure military systems
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.