Lead Software Engineer
Lead Software Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
Leadership and subject matter expertise to the Vertex Modular Application Framework software team. This will include the development, documentation, verification and support of VMAF software designed using agile software engineering tools and methods. Software Development Kits and integration harnesses for use by 3rd parties.
- Developing, integrating and testing VMAF to support the MORPHEUS Products
- business thread.
- Provide technical leadership for the other members of the VMAF team.
- Analysing software subsystem requirements.
- Validating software designs against requirements, constraints and assumptions.
- Designing and implementing VMAF subsystem elements.
- Management of subcontract staff to ensure timely delivery of compliant designs
- and product updates.
- Ownership of the VMAF change management process, including undertaking
- analyses of design changes to confirm feasibility and impacts on VMAF
- Planning and supporting product and integration testing activities.
- Analysing and rectifying software integration issues in target hardware and
- software environments.
- Working with specialist and support engineering groups as required to validate
- designs. Relevant specialist disciplines include security, safety, and human factors.
- Accurate and timely reporting of progress and escalation of issues to Programme
- and Engineering management.
- Presentation of VMAF outputs, including conclusions and recommendations, at
- formal reviews and stakeholder demonstrations to gain feedback on the
- development activities and support future improvements.
- Planning, scheduling and assignment of work for direct reports.
- Responsibility for cost accounting and work package management.
- Reviewing team processes and outputs for technical accuracy, adequacy, and
- Responsibility for time management of self and team, ensuring work outputs
- delivered to agreed schedule.
- Responsibility for team performance including the execution of quarterly
- performance management reviews.
- Preparation of job specifications for, and recruitment of, more junior personnel.
- Breadth of experience in a role that demonstrates technical leadership and application of system engineering skills with a track record of delivery.
- Demonstrates understanding of the system engineering lifecycle and phases, and challenges associated with system engineering in a delivery focussed, commercially successful organisation.
- Experienced in engineering methods and tools for elaborating system requirements.
- Experience in Service Based Design and Delivery
- Experience in software engineering and development methodologies e.g. Agile
- Experience in cross-platform solutions e.g. Windows, Android, IOS, Unix
- Experienced in engineering methods and tools for system modelling (SysML)
- A belief in and understanding of the benefits of Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
- Confident and effective dealing with Customers, End Users and external 3rd Parties.
- Familiar with tactical network infrastructures including networks, radios and system management considerations.
- Good understanding of messaging and routing protocols, TCP/IP, UDP, including those applicable to wireless (as well as wired) environments
- Knowledge of security processes and controls for secure military systems
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.