Senior Mechanical Engineer
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security.
In the UK, Leonardo operates from 6 main sites (Basildon, Bristol, Edinburgh, Luton, Southampton and Yeovil) employing around 7,000 highly skilled people, 67% of whom hold highly skilled positions. The company makes a significant contribution to the UK economy with revenues of over £2bn, around 50% of which are in export. Our products and capabilities range from manufacturing world-leading helicopters, the design and integration of radars, avionics and advanced targeting systems, the provision of secure communications and cyber security solutions through to development of cutting-edge optronics that sees us support sectors as diverse as defence, documentaries and sports.
Senior Mechanical Engineer 2951
Job Description and Skills
A high calibre Senior Mechanical Engineer is required, whose primary role is to complete engineering tasks as assigned by the Integrated Project Team in accordance with engineering common processes.
Key Responsibility Areas
•Provide mechanical design of product, to ensure successful transfer to production.
•Work within the Integrated Project Team, without day to day guidance, providing accurate mechanical engineering output and providing technical information to ensure informed decision making. Manage own elements of the engineering work package.
•Ensure engineering design is best practice by following Company and Engineering life cycle processes.
•Contribution to engineering and project team decisions.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
•Knowledge of mechanical system architecture processes. Understanding of mechanical requirements specifications and how to create top-level mechanical system architecture solutions. Familiar with how to establish traceability from requirements to design.
•Familiar with a range of analysis techniques, typical critical factors influencing the results of the analyses and the implications on the performance of the design.
•Knowledge of mechanical detailed design processes. Understanding of how to create detailed design solutions from architectural designs. Familiar with how to establish traceability from concept design to detailed design.
•Familiar with mechanical production processes and techniques and design for manufacture processes. Understands most effects of implementation upon design performance and especially familiar with one or more particular technology domains.
•Familiar with how to record mechanical build standards and modification records.
•Familiar with integration and validation processes at component, module, assembly and system level. Familiar with most physical and functional properties, particularly in one or more technology domains.
•Knowledge of all domains of qualification testing and associated design properties, test requirements and the analysis of results and measurements. Especially familiar with one or more particular aspects of qualification such as EMC, vibration or temperature.
•Familiar with configuration management, procurement, assembly, test and shipping processes.
•Understanding of obsolescence management and failure trend analysis.
•Knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of most common mechanical modelling and analysis tools. Understands the correct use of the tools and how to interpret the analysis results.
•Experience in the use of CREO or similar 3D CAD package
The role may require some travel, mostly UK. Working to tight deadlines at times.
At Leonardo, we believe that our employees work best when they are able to achieve balance between work and other aspects of life. That’s why we are committed to designing policies and developing a working environment that promote the benefits and well-being of all our employees. Our benefits include:
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
- Generous relocation package: We offer an excellent package to ease the move for people relocating for work.
- Award-winning pension scheme: Our multi-award-winning pension scheme includes generous employer contribution.
- Flexible working and additional flex-leave schemes: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life.
- Salary sacrifice schemes including childcare voucher scheme: We encourage working parents to save money on childcare by offering them several advantageous facilities and vouchers.
- Maternity leave: We have very flexible working arrangements and advantageous Maternity Policy
- Paternity, parental, adoption and dependent leave: We care to ensure that we consider every aspect of your needs. All these policies are covered as part of our Work-Life Balance Policy.
- Learning & Development: We help assess your development needs in line with the role you wish to perform, and allow you to further develop your knowledge.
- Reserve Forces: We provide positive support to the Reserve Forces and allow employees who are Reservists to take additional time off.
If you believe you have the knowledge and experience to enhance our team, and would value the opportunity of working in a flexible and supportive environment across a variety of exciting domains, please upload your CV and cover letter below, once submitted your application is sent directly to the Leonardo HR Team.
You can email Kay Alexander the HR Manager for this role for an informal discussion - firstname.lastname@example.org
Security Clearance requirements – please consider before applying
You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.