Systems Capability Team Lead
5 days left
- Job Type
An opportunity has arisen to lead the UK Systems Capability Technologies Team as the business deploys an integrated cross-company, cross-discipline Collaborative Engineering toolset (i.e. MatriX). MatriX will support the development of complex Weapon Systems, Weapon Sub-systems and Equipment – the Systems Engineering technologies being an integral part of this collaborative engineering toolset.
Leading the Systems Capability Technologies Team, ensuring that the UK business, projects and individuals have the appropriate Systems Engineering tools and support available to develop Weapon Systems, Weapon Sub-systems and Equipment. All aligned to the company’s Policies and Common Operating Procedure (COP) for Developing Products (i.e. PLC1).
Key individual responsibilities include:
- Managing the Systems Engineering technologies portfolio for MBDA in the UK, including development and implementation of the Systems Engineering Technologies Management Plan.
- Managing provision of the Systems Capability Grid Computing Facility (GCF) facility for use by projects in the UK.
- Prime interface between UK Systems Engineering and the wider MBDA UK Information Management (IM) function.
- External tool vendor Relationship Management across the Systems Engineering Technologies portfolio.
- Line management of team members to include: One-to-Ones, Professional Development, Remuneration, Holidays, Training etc. Of key importance, motivation and support to individual members to ensure accountabilities, responsibilities and deliveries are achieved to time & budget, to allow individuals to maximise their potential.
- Initiation of CAPEX (and other budget) requests associated with development of the Systems Engineering tools portfolio and the underlying computing infrastructure.
- Managing and updating the Systems Engineering Technologies Support knowledgebase and possible migration to a different format e.g. Eclipse Process Framework (EPF).
- Periodically reporting Technologies Team activity to the overall Systems Capability Group, and to Projects.
- Supporting Software Engineering and the Software Capability team in their needs and use of common Systems and Software technologies such as DOORS, Rhapsody and the MatriX ALM tools: i.e. Rational Team Concert (RTC) and Rhapsody Design Manager (RDM).
- Travelling within the UK, particularly to the MBDA site in Filton, to collaborate with the Systems Capability Project Support Team. To pro-actively engage and support projects, business and individuals as part of implementing, monitoring, measuring and maintaining the Systems Engineering Technologies Management Plan.
What’s in it for you?
- The role provides opportunity to work closely with vendors, on behalf of MBDA, to stay informed and influence technology roadmaps, ensuring MBDA’s needs are catered for driven by closely working with and representing the needs of development projects and the business.
- The role is UK based, but does involve collaborating with Systems Engineering teams in MBDA France and MBDA Italy, to share, leverage and implement coherent approaches in deployment and support to projects internationally; which will involve international meetings and may involve international travel.
- In addition, as the company integrates MBDA Germany and MBDA Spain more into the fold, there will be opportunity to contribute to that integration with respect to their Systems Engineering technology needs and leverageable opportunities for the UK.
- It is not expected that the successful candidate will be in a position to take on the full set of responsibilities from day one, but must have sufficient experience to lead the team and contribute from day one. There will be a transition period, to get up to speed and take on the full set of responsibilities, to integrate into the overall Systems Capability Group and fully lead the Technologies Team.
What’s great about the team?
- Team members are experienced professionals with a passion and enthusiasm to proactively deploy and support Systems Engineering technologies to benefit the business, projects and individuals.
- Team members continually develop and share their knowledge and understanding of Systems Engineering technologies, effective approaches to using such technologies and their effectiveness and efficiencies to develop Weapon Systems.
- The team have developed and continue to develop good working relationships with projects, and individual team members, an ability to project practitioner interaction is a key part of this role.
- An individual joining the team will have the opportunity to add to the team’s capability their experiences and ideas, to enhance and shape the teams contribution to the business and make a difference.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for an individual with the following essential attributes and experience:
- Demonstrable background in Systems Engineering, with an understanding of associated technologies across the system development lifecycle dealing with: Requirements, Model-Based Architecture and Design, Verification and Validation (V&V) and Support.
- Of importance is practical experience of deploying such technologies on secure networks and the responsibility for appropriate licensing, user access and robust administration.
- Demonstrable experience of managing teams, their activities, their deliverables, and individual team member personal development. Ensuring that the team’s activities are aligned to business strategy and overall business plans, whilst ensuring fit for purpose for project needs in terms of scope and timescales.
- Ability to present technical information to technical audiences and engage in open discussion, as well as ‘simplify’ technical concepts for presentation to and engagement with not-so technical audiences.
- Evidence of appropriate formal education and training associated with IT and Systems Engineeringcapabilities, supplemented by self-learning.
- Demonstrable approach to personal professional development by keeping up to date in relevant technical areas, and the development of personal skills and capabilities to provide more effective service.
- Self-sufficient, motivated and proactive supporting individuals, projects and other functions, but comfortable to share and ask for help when needed.
The following desirable attributes would be very welcome, to complement and/or mitigate deficiencies in essential attributes and experience:
- Knowledge and experience of ‘other’ technologies associated with Product Development in areas other than Systems and Software Engineering that contribute to an overall integrated collaborative Product Development toolset.
- Knowledge and experience of Product Line Engineering and associated methodology, approach and technologies aligned to ALM and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) capabilities.
- Development and delivery of training to large groups in a formal structured Learning & Development environment and/or to small bespoke groups and individuals.
What would you get?
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)