You will join:
- The Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for the LHC and its injector accelerators.
- The Controls Group (CO), responsible for developing the controls infrastructure used to operate these particle accelerators 24 hours a day.
- The Applications Section (APS), a dynamic and quality-oriented agile team, responsible for the mission-critical user interfaces and server-side applications used by the accelerator physicists and operators. (https://be-dep-co.web.cern.ch/content/aps-applications)
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science or a related field.
- Extensive professional experience in a software engineering position mentoring a small team;
- Proven experience with modern software engineering and DevOps practices;
- Experience applying software quality assurance techniques and practice with corresponding tools.
The following are considered as assets but are not mandatory:
- Experience with Java, its ecosystem and the Spring Framework;
- Experience with serverless/FAAS architectures;
- Active participation in open source projects, with accepted contributions.
- Development of application software, both on the client and the server side;
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: Python, ES5/ES6 or TypeScript plus one out of C++, Java, C#, or Kotlin;
- Conceptualising, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces for the desktop with Qt/QML and for the Web with Angular, React or Vue.js.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures, including CI and quality assurance.
- Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- Knowledge of French or the willingness to acquire it rapidly would be an advantage.