Ocado is an award-winning online retailer revolutionising grocery shopping in the UK who continually report double digit growth. We are developing our own technology and new customer propositions allowing the business to open multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships. We pride ourselves on the quality of ours goods, people and technological advances that power everything we do.
The System engineer will help with the development of range of products and systems. They will document the architecture of the systems, define and document system and sub-system interfaces. Champion and lead best system engineering practices.
Role & Responsibilities
- The System Engineer is required to help define the architecture new products and define the interfaces.
- Translate customer requirements into system and sub-system specifications.
- Define and apportion tolerances between subsystems.
- Tolerance studies and system modelling.
- Ensure that best practices are adhered too.
- Participate in engineering stage gate reviews.
- The system engineer will be expected to work across a range of disciplines linking with the Technical leads within the Product development group.
- Actively participate in the Patent process for Ocado Engineering.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- An engineering/ science qualification, to Degree level.
- Experience of system engineering in new product development in areas such as high volume manufacture, automotive, or FMCG.
- Understanding of tolerance studies and critical parameter management.
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to complicated electro-mechanical systems.
- Experiences in system engineering tools including functional block diagrams, data flow diagrams, V-model of system engineering, design of experiments.
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- Experience in structured problem solving ishikawa diagrams, management by fact process, FMEAs etc.
- Ability to build relationships from shop floor to management level, identify and clearly communicate key information and tailor the communication for the audience.
- Prioritise issues, communicate reasoning and negotiate for resources when needed.
- Both technical and commercial awareness.
- Ability to design & propose alternative solutions when faced with barriers.
- Understanding of product reliability and reliability testing.
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.
To find out more about us and to apply for this role, please click the APPLY button.