Optical Engineer - all levels
Exciting opportunities have arisen in our specialist Optical Engineering team for the Electronic Systems business unit at Rochester. You will be instrumental in the design of ground breaking augmented reality displays and associated optical test equipment. These are extremely exciting and challenging roles and present the opportunity to design products for the world's most advanced commercial and military fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft. Exposure to the customer and end user, as well as working alongside like-minded engineers, makes unique opportunities for the right candidates.
Opportunities range from those who have recently finished studying a relevant higher level qualification and have been excited by the optics subject area, to more established design engineers who have a range of experience in designing and testing complex optics systems, ideally within the context of augmented reality applications.
Depending upon your experience level, your key responsibilities will be:
- Optical system requirements trade-off analysis to support system architecture decisions.
- Detailed design of optical sub-systems that operate as part of an overall integrated solution including: miniature projector systems based on COTs display devices, relay lens assemblies, free-form surface definition, spectrally selective reflective visors and combiners and waveguide optics.
- Assembly and formal photometric testing of prototype and production standard optical systems, including testing individual optical elements through to complete augmented reality systems.
- Generation of detailed optical sub-system specifications to allow out-sourcing of assemblies to optical subcontractors.
- Estimating the duration of assigned activities and reporting progress, contributing task estimates into an overall optical work package manager, estimating complete optics work packages and generating a corresponding detailed basis of estimate.
For anyone in the initial stages of their career, specialist training, formal and/or on-the-job, will be provided, however a Physics/Science/Optics based Degree is desirable.
However for more established engineers the following qualifications and skills are a good match to our expectations:
- A Physics/Science/Optics based Degree.
- Experience in the application of optical design tools for geometric ray tracing and the design of optical coatings and diffractive structures.
- Experience with the use of optics modelling tools such as ZEMAX, CodeV, FRED, TracePro
- Experience in specification of optical materials, optical processes and tolerances associated with series manufacture.
- Experience in photometric measurement systems to verify the performance of manufactured designs.
If you are considering a career where you want to see your design skills and experience contribute directly to the active development of exciting augmented reality products, in multiple rapidly developing marketplaces, then this opportunity should not be missed!
Salary: Competitive - dependent on experience
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
We support a range of commercial and military platforms, including fixed and rotary wing aircraft, ground vehicles, human-machine interfaces and power management. Our systems operate in more than 100 countries with 25 air forces, 30 manufacturers and 280 airlines. Around 1,500 professionals work here, all focused on delivering innovation and outstanding customer responsiveness. We are a rapidly growing and successful part of one of the world's leading defence, security and aerospace companies.
We pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of. You'll have the opportunity to work from concept to completion, giving you real ownership of projects. Whatever you do, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you're making a difference to people's lives.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.