Control Rod Drive Mechanism (CRDM) Design Engineer
An opportunity has arisen for a Control Rod Drive Mechanism (CRDM) Design Engineer within the Primary Components OBU in Submarines. The Primary Components OBU is responsible for the design, manufacture and justification of the naval Nuclear Steam Raising Plant (NSRP) components powering the UK's nuclear submarine flotilla.
As a CRDM Design Engineer you will work across the design, manufacturing and production aspects of the value stream on all Primary Components products to meet the demands of delivery for in-service and in-build submarines.
Innovation is in our DNA at Rolls-Royce. We develop integrated power and propulsion solutions that continually break new ground across multiple markets.
Our nuclear business is a leader in propulsion system design and development for the Royal Navy's nuclear submarine fleet and the sole provider and technical authority, managing all aspects of plant design, safety, manufacture, performance and through-life support.
- Derives product design requirements from Customer and stakeholder inputs.
- Creates and justifies CRDM design solutions/improvements.
- Develops the product through prototyping and testing.
- Manages design team internal interfaces (e.g. CAD, materials, stress, manufacturing, procurement) and external suppliers; specifying the requirements for and agreeing outputs from technical analyses.
- Compiles technical reports and presentations for design reviews and release to manufacture.
- Ensures that the final product definition meets the full set of design requirements and can be manufactured within the defined production system.
Qualifications and experience
- BEng (Hons) or Masters degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline, accredited by a relevant professional body such as the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), and actively working towards either Incorporated or Chartered Engineer status.
- Knowledge of the fundamental principles of design and operation of a typical Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR).
- Understanding of the overall product lifecycle, including product design and typical verification/validation processes and techniques.
- Ability to explain mechanical, electrical and thermo-fluid interactions in a typical product/system.
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, childcare vouchers, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Create an ocean of power. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for excellence and innovation.
Trusted to deliver excellence.
We are an equal opportunities employer.
This role is subject to Full UK Security Clearance.