Tooling Engineer - Design
Our nuclear business is a leader in propulsion system design and development for the Royal Navy's nuclear submarine fleet and the sole provider and technical authority, managing all aspects of plant design, safety, manufacture, performance and through-life support.
Joining us as a Design Engineer means that you will be working within our Tooling team, which is accountable and responsible for the delivery of special to product tooling to the Primary Component Operations (PCO) business unit. The PCO business manufactures and assembles components for the Astute and Dreadnought classes of submarine; some of the most complex engineering programmes in the UK.
Within your role, you will be designing and substantiating your own work, as well as managing the manufacture and delivery of the special to product tooling in line with programme commitments and to budget.
Innovation is in our DNA at Rolls-Royce. We develop integrated power and propulsion solutions that continually break new ground across multiple markets.
- Following the design process and relevant code, from requirements capture through to concept, final design, manufacture, development and implementation.
- Leading the generation of detailed requirements with the customer and identified key stakeholders.
- Ensuring that both internal and external suppliers are compliant with our design process and preparing technical documentation.
- Overseeing the tooling design as it progresses through manufacture, acceptance testing and into service.
- Liaising with suppliers (internal and external) to ensure equipment is supplied in accordance with project requirements.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in mechanical engineering or similar relevant discipline, although past experience and capability will be taken into consideration.
- Technical understanding of mechanical design, design substantiation, and engineering governance.
- Ability to work to codes and standards to meet regulations.
- Sound knowledge of engineering principles, including design for manufacture, design for assembly and maintenance, Health and Safety, environmental awareness.
- Ability to communicate solutions concisely and articulately to peers, stakeholders and customers in gated design reviews, and demonstrate that all key requirements have been satisfactorily addressed.
- Tool and fixture design experience for component manufacture and assembly is desirable.
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, childcare vouchers, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Create an ocean of power. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for excellence and innovation.
Trusted to deliver excellence.
We are an equal opportunities employer.
This role is subject of full UK security clearance