System Engineer – Tactical C4i Networks & Bearers
General Dynamics UK is looking for engineers to be part of an exciting new programme for the Ministry of Defence that will modernise the existing tactical mobile network for the British Armed Forces. The programme delivers new capability and performance of the computing, communications and situational awareness for the soldier.
The programme will develop and deliver a new system based on an open tactical CIS architecture that integrates existing and new communication products. The system includes specification and procurement of software and hardware products as well as development of new hardware and software products and software interfaces to open up the existing tactical CIS system to support reduced integration effort and cost while enabling the system for future evolution with new technology and capability.
In order to deliver the TP programme GDMS have adopted an Agile Methodology in the form of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®) and is applying it across the whole system and product development lifecycle. This is as a step change approach from traditional waterfall delivery model designed to enable continuous delivery and validation of solutions, with flexibility to respond to changing customer requirements, foster innovation and promote collaborative working between team and Customer stakeholders based on shared interest, values and goals.
The role is for an Tactical C4I network and bearers engineer with good subject matter expertise to contribute to the specification, design and development, validation of EvO solutions for networking. . This is a senior appointment and is suited to a motivated individual who is willing to step up, take ownership and lead the definition of capability to be delivered, working closely with the customer and development teams to ensure high level requirements are translated into working solutions that can be regularly demonstrated through the agile programme increments
- Subject matter expertise with tactical networks including radio bearers for voice and data communications
- Broad understanding of network/bearer protocols for voice, reliable data delivery, routing, address resolution, including those applicable to wired and wireless environments
- Familiar with planning, setup, configuration, monitoring of tactical networks including computers, radios, routers and switches
- Good understanding of the OSI-layered communications model
- Competence and developed skillset in engineering methods and tools for requirements management, architecture definition, design elaboration, verification & validation
- Demonstrable understanding of the system engineering lifecycle and phases, and challenges associated with system engineering in a delivery focused, commercially organisation. Familiarity with all aspects of systems delivery including Safety, Security, Human Factors, Training, Support considerations
- Knowledge of time protocols including NTPv4
- Experience in using the SAFe / Agile methodologies for systems or software development
Experienced in the use of one or more the following engineering tools: DOORs, PTC Integrity Modeller, IBM Rational Rhapsody, RTC, RQM