In Service Support Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, its part of our spirit.
This role is to provide engineering support for users of the fielded BCIP system with real time assistance and in-depth analysis for incidents and system issues as part of an in-service baseline engineering team.
The In-Service Support engineer will provide technical support to users including UK MoD and other customers as needed. Responsibilities will include:
- Managing issues related to the safety, security and usage of deployed systems to maintain the capability available to end users
- Providing in-depth technical support by liaising with military personnel including visits to UK and overseas MoD and other customer locations
- Helping users to diagnose faults, conduct incident investigations and resolve issues with deployed network infrastructure and applications
- Replicating issues at the In-Service Baseline Reference facility and documenting results, workarounds and recommendations in technical investigation reports
- Preparing technical bulletins and managing an established body of knowledge manage known issues
- Supporting the GDUK Technical Service Centre (TSC) to maintain an agreed service level including occasional on-call, shift or weekend working
- Analysing trends to identify emerging issues
- Improving the In-Service Support processes, procedures and tools to support Continual Service Improvement
- Accurate assignment of Incidents to new problems and known errors
- Providing system configuration and planning support
- Providing engineering and technical support to elsewhere as needed
- HGV license and valid CPC
- Knowledge of Systems Engineering and ITIL Best Practices;
- Knowledge of Defence Standards;
- Knowledge of the use and handling of cryptographic material;
- Knowledge of health and safety at work legislation and practices.
- HND/HNC qualified or relevant experience in a related discipline or role;
- Experience with ‘hands on’ within a Telecommunications (IP/RF) environment;
- Experience working in a Military Environment (on Operations or Exercises) with an understanding of UK Forces Operations;
- RP/IP based network, IP/routing, PCB, electrical, mechanical and computer systems hardware fault troubleshooting ability
- Ability to write investigation and task reports;
- English communication (oral, written, presentational), organizational, analysis and decision making skills
- Customer communication and interpersonal skills;
- PC skills and knowledge of Microsoft Applications;
- Ability to multi-task and cope under pressure
- Able to work extended hours at remote sites within and outside the UK when required;
- Flexible approach and quick learner;
- Self-motivated with good self-organisational ability;
- Ability to work within a team or individually as required;
- Currently holds or is eligible to hold a UK Secret clearance;
- Clean UK Driving License.
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.