Product Integration and Test Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, its part of our spirit.
This role is for a test engineer who is part of a team responsible for Product integration and test activity to support design certification, assurance and acceptance for the EvO products. EvO is the first phase of the MORPHEUS program which includes the transformation of BCIP to an open and flexible technical and business architecture.
Individuals in this role will carry out software Product integration with hardware & software components, defining & executing test cases, and carry out problem solving to identify defects and provide assurance evidence and demonstrations for the system.
Software Product Integration Test Teams operate as part of the product development team and will provide input unto the System demonstration and aid where required the System integration teams at the Value Stream Level within a Scaled Agile Framework. Tasks will be varied and include mainly product integration with some support to the system integration teams
The successful candidate will work within a multi-disciplined engineering team to deliver outputs that meet customer needs to defined quality standards within agreed timescales and budgets.
• Support detailed planning to successfully execute product testing and integration and test activity
• Define test requirements, specifications, procedures and scripts with reference to system and product specification, design and use cases
• Execute defined product integration activities
• Execute tests and manage test results and associated data
• Support the production of test reports and associated test conclusions
• Support status reporting of product test activities.
• Support build and test automation activity as well as the continuous improvement of integration and testing processes, procedures and tools.
• Carry out integration and test activity within the SAFe Agile Framework program
Required Skills & Abilities
- Competence in Software product Integration and Test – depth of experience in some areas and breadth of understanding across the discipline, practicing as a Software test engineer on a complex development program
- Ability to carry out product test and system activity as part of a team
- Experience of Test script writing preferably using IBM RTC Quality Manager
- Technical awareness of electrical, mechanical and computer systems hardware including knowledge of commercial IT architecture and technologies
- Proven methodical analytic fault finding skills - comfortable working in a technical laboratory while adhering to lab rules e.g. safe handling, equipment tracking and ESD
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Proficient in use of Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel and Visio.
- Able to write automated test scripts
- Self-motivated demonstrating integrity, professionalism, flexibility, commitment and innovation
- Understanding and experience of developing Tactical C4I Systems; knowledge of the BCIP system
- Knowledge of DOORS
Required Education & Experience
- Technical experience in the application of practical and pragmatic Product Integration and Test engineering on strategic products on large scale Defence design and development programs.
- Practical hands on experience in lab and field based military systems testing including equipment/system commissioning and fault finding
- Microsoft Windows Platform experience with good understanding of Windows architecture, services, security features, and virtualization
- Experienced in the use of one or more the following engineering tools or equivalents: IBM DOORS, Rational Quality Manager, Rational Team Concert, Microsoft Office tools
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or IT discipline or equivalent wide range of relevant experience
- Some Experience/Knowledge of Unix/Linux architecture, services, security features and virtualization
- Knowledge or experience in an Agile test environment is desirable but not essential
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.