Senior Software Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
This role is for a Senior Software Engineer who is looking to apply their substantial software development experience and established technical aptitude in an exciting and challenging environment.
The successful candidate will be working on a range of avionics programmes at all stages of the development lifecycle, applying modern software engineering techniques in teams delivering highly capable and reliable solutions. General Dynamics UK are looking for dynamic, flexible, and pro-active engineers who are keen to contribute significantly to the successful development of embedded equipment.
The successful candidate will have good team working and interpersonal skills, and be able to show that their technical knowledge can be applied to achieve good quality results.
The successful candidate will be expected to innovate and contribute to the development of company products to improve capability, effectiveness, and affordability.
The successful candidate will also be expected to pro-actively contribute to advancing the skills and capabilities of the software engineering community within Electronic Systems in Hastings.
The Senior Software Engineer will undertake a range of activities, including:
- Technical leadership of programme software teams
- Development of architectural concepts and designs
- Advancing the department’s skills and capabilities
- Mentoring junior software engineers
- Achieving design assurance needs to timescale and budget
Required Skills & Abilities
Software engineering skills and experience preferred:
- Technical leadership
- Full development life-cycle experience
- Model-based software analysis and design
- Embedded software development and verification
- Software configuration management and build control
Other specific skills and experience that are valuable, but not required:
- Safety critical software experience
- RTCA DO-178C Design Assurance
- Formal methods
- Development processes; Scrum, Agile, Waterfall
- Requirements Capture; DOORS
- Analysis and Design methodologies; SysML, UML
- Design tools; IBM Rhapsody, Mathworks MATLAB/Simulink
- Languages; MISRA C, Ada, SPARK
Embedded targets; PowerPC, ARM, single and multi-core
Required Education & Experience
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- An advanced understanding of the challenges associated with software engineering of avionics equipment
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- High levels of motivation and integrity
- Flexibility, innovation and commitment to delivery
- Commitment to professionalism
The successful candidate will need to hold or be able to obtain Security Clearance.
Candidates should have a degree level education or equivalent, and a wide range of relevant experience. Professional registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) is valuable.
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.