Senior Hardware Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
This role is for a Senior Hardware Engineer who is looking to apply their substantial hardware development experience and established technical aptitude in an exciting and challenging environment.
The successful candidate will be working on a range of avionics programmes at all stages of the development lifecycle, applying modern hardware engineering techniques in teams delivering highly capable and reliable solutions. General Dynamics UK are looking for dynamic, flexible, and pro-active engineers who are keen to contribute significantly to the successful development of embedded equipment.
The successful candidate will have good team working and interpersonal skills, and be able to show that their technical knowledge can be applied to achieve good quality results.
The successful candidate will be expected to innovate and contribute to the development of company products to improve capability, effectiveness, and affordability.
The successful candidate will also be expected to pro-actively contribute to advancing the skills and capabilities of the hardware engineering community within Electronic Systems in Hastings.
The Senior Hardware Engineer will undertake a range of activities, including:
- Create and modify analogue and digital hardware designs
- Development and verification of hardware and firmware to applicable standards
- Plan and support equipment qualification
- Support the manufacturing department during test and build
- Controlled configuration
- Technical leadership of programme hardware teams
- Advancing the department’s skills and capabilities
- Mentoring junior hardware engineers
- Achieving design assurance needs to timescale and budget
- Lead the Design To Cost (DTC) and Design For Manufacturability (DFM) activities
Required Skills & Abilities
Sufficient relevant hardware engineering and domain competence across most of the aspects captured below:
- Strong experience of the full hardware development lifecycle from concept to production handover
- Hardware Configuration management and build control
- Aircraft interfaces and power supplies
- DOORS requirements capture
- Strongly influence system architecture and partitioning for new designs
- PLD/FPGA Design – VHDL, Modelsim, ISE, Vivado (particularly Xilinx FPGAs)
- Schematic Design Capture using Mentor Xpedition toolset
- Review and analysis of PCB Designs using the Mentor Xpedition toolset
- Spice simulation – preferably using LTSpice
- Qualification Standards – RTCA/DO-160G, DEF-STAN 00-35, DEF-STAN 59-41
- Proven experience with MIL-STD-1760, RTCA DO-254
- Networks – Ethernet, MIL-STD-1553, ARINC 429
- Ability to critically review designs as they progress through the life cycle
- Digital design using processors and FPGAs
- Strong understanding of analogue design principles and review
- Ability to investigate and resolve complex system integration issues
- Accomplished VHDL designer and reviewer
- Use of laboratory test equipment to debug and fault find
- Experience of undertaking and / or planning environmental qualification
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.