Electrical Services Design Engineer
Electrical Services Design Engineer
UKRI - STFC
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot
£30,357 - £32,997 (dependent on qualifications and experience)
The Science & Technology Facilities Council is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and engineering.
The STFC Estates Department is responsible for the management and development of our three principal campuses; the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) in Oxfordshire, the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire and The Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, as well as some other scientific sites and facilities.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Services Design Engineer, based at RAL. This role will provide energy efficient electrical services designs for STFC, which are compliant with current legislation for all new, remodelling and refurbishment projects and which also meets client/user requirements.
- project design - Working as part of a project design team, alongside Architects, Structural Engineers, Mechanical Engineers and Quantity Surveyors for in house building projects. Liaising and working with external consultants
- calculations - Carrying out all necessary electrical services calculations
- project management and site supervision - Ensuring design and specification
- cost control - As part of the management of the projects liaising with the quantity surveyor to ensure that accurate M&E project valuations are produced
- record information - Ensuring that all project M&E record documentation is supplied and is accurate and implemented into the buildings H&S file
- advice - Providing general electrical services advice to clients and other disciplines for the production of project programmes etc.
It is essential that you have a HNC in an electrical engineering discipline or equivalent. Also essential is experience of using design packages (e.g. AMTECH, BIM, AUTOCAD, etc.). Membership of the IET, or CIBSE and either CEng or I Eng is desirable.
You will have significant experience in electrical engineering calculation, design, implementation and commissioning of HV and LV electrical schemes. You will also have experience in project management of medium to large value projects; with the ability to produce budget estimates, project programmes and documentation. Experience of design and installations under CDM regulations is also essential.
You will have knowledge of legislation relevant to electrical services, construction, environment and safety. You will also be able to prepare drawings and specifications for new electrical schemes and have knowledge of the 17th Edition IET Wiring Regulations
You will have the ability to work effectively and logically in high pressure situations; with demonstrate adaptability and good team working skills. You should be self-motivated and enthusiastic with a flexible approach to working. It is also essential that you have excellent organisational and interpersonal skills.
What we offer
An exceptional index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered.
Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone.
The closing date for applications is 17th June 2018