System Engineer (RCS-SIS-OA-2018-49-LD)
As a System Engineer you will more specifically:
- Manage project-wide requirements in collaboration with the product manager and other senior engineers, articulating technical solutions, and setting priorities.
- Take responsibility for the continuous delivery of the service: from continuous integration, to automatic deployment on staging environment, to deployment in production.
- Maintain the service by monitoring and measuring availability and performance.
- Lead and coach junior software engineers to deliver and integrate specific INSPIRE components.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of: information technologies or a related field.
- Solid engineering experience in Python.
- Deep understanding of the Linux internals, including Kernel, Memory, Process, Threads Track-record monitoring system's health, performance and log aggregation.
- Experience in one of the following configuration management systems: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure such as: OpenStack, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
- Demonstrated ability operating and maintaining web applications with technologies like: HAproxy, nginx, RabbitMQ and PostgreSQL.
The following are considered as an asset/not mandatory:
- Experience of Python web frameworks such as: Flask or Django.
- Familiarity with complex (open source) projects and an Agile development approach.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a medium web application (e.g. efficient algorithms, well-designed APIs, and security).
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages.
- Development of application software.
- Architecture and design of ICT systems.
- Production Service Maintenance.
- Design and selection of methods and tools.
- Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- Knowledge of French or the willingness to acquire it rapidly would be an advantage.
Eligibility, closing date and Employment Conditions:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states).
Closing date 24.06.2018
Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.