Summary of Role
As a leading International Defence Systems & Software solutions provider we require a Safety Engineer to support a variety of programmes across Land, Sea and Air domains. Working in a matrix environment you will work in a small specialist team to provide System Safety expertise for various Integrated Project Teams (IPTs). All projects have to demonstrate that the systems they deliver are acceptably safe. This is achieved through the creation of a safety assessment based on hazard analysis. Hazard analysis and the assembly of safety assessments is undertaken by Project and Safety Engineers.
Responsibilities will include support to the following activities, as directed by the Project Safety Engineer:
- Preparation and maintenance of Safety Plans, Hazard Analysis, Hazard Logs and Safety Assessments
- Derivation of safety requirements and safety integrity levels
- Provision of safety input to project reviews
- Provision of support to bid and proposal activities
- Degree or equivalent in a technical discipline
- Experience in an engineering environment
- Experience of working on safety related systems
- Experience of safety management and safety analysis
- Strong people skills and able to work with staff at all levels Able to lead reviews and workshops Team player, but prepared to challenge views which could jeopardise the safety assessment
- Prepared to travel and work abroad for short periods
- Experience of working to Defence Standard 00-056, IEC 61508
- Understanding of Goal Structuring Notation (GSN) and safety arguments
- Understanding of supporting analysis tools and techniques such as FTA and FMEA
- Appreciation of the full engineering lifecycle
- Appreciation of design/implementation techniques for safety
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 95 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Raytheon Career Development
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
- 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
- Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental leave.
- 37 hour working week with an early finish Friday. Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
- Canteen facilities available at Harlow and Glenrothes sites with free snacks and drinks (hot and cold) available
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I counsel and Reservist Network which all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate in.