Principal Software Engineer (Applications Transformation) 112437BR
Summary of Role:
This role requires the ability to support the integration and test of MOTS and COTS components presented as services. The services may be defined only as an interface or may be an interface with open source code for which modification may be permitted to the source code through an independent governance organisation. The role will require the ability to understand and accept existing code, modify that code and create bespoke application code, supporting infrastructure and network components.
The role will require specification and supervision of third parties developing code potentially at multiple locations through a collaborative working environment, experience of the implementation of this development approach is highly desirable.
The role will retain responsibility for the verification of all allocated components and will be strongly biased towards services based design solution which are highly adaptable and facilitate change. Experience of Scrum based development approach is highly desirable but the candidate will be able to influence if not lead the development approach adopted. Given that some tasks will be executed collaboratively this is expected to influence the development approach adopted.
This role will be key to a business transformation approach moving from monolithic vertical cut stove pipe solutions to views on a shared data environment with services presented by key stakeholder groups aligned with the business architecture.
- Managing the software design solution; it’s design lifecycle and the administration of the development toolset/ environment.
- The implementation and management of design and development work packages.
- Management of the content and implementation of design packages on third parties.
- Delivery of coherent builds to the System Integration and Test team.
- Defect resolution
- Leading the software solution design, development and implementation for high integrity applications, such as a safety critical or mission/business critical solutions
- Trade study of software applications
- Appreciation of Licensing conditions
- Integration of COTS, MOTS and bespoke development using middleware
- Experience of COTS GIS applications and familiarity with GIS systems
- Researching and resolving system integration issues and other system defects
- Working within a development environment i.e. Atlassian tool-set or equivalent
- Addressing discrepancy reports, performing integration regression testing to verify/validate; incorporated fixes to software, components, subsystems and systems;
- Preparing and executing test and acceptance plans;
- Holder of current SC clearance and prepared to support a DV clearance
- Good experience of deployed/containerised solutions;
- Use and evaluation of open source applications and code
- Knowledge of JSP440 (Security) and JSP604 (MoD build standards);
- Data Modelling
- Fault resolution
What we are looking for…
A broad range of technology experience examples below but not necessarily limited to any or all listed;
- Knowledge of Linux Red Hat and CentOS
- Knowledge of Windows server 2012, Windows 7,10
- Active Directory administration
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Linux administration and deployment
- Windows Deployment Sever (WDS)
- Red hat migration
- VMware Vsphere ESXi administration
- Atlassian tool-set administration (JIRA, Confluence, Stash, Bamboo etc.) for software development teams
- Commercial Anti Virus deployment and maintenance
- Support and maintenance of Server, Storage and Desktop hardware
- Network health monitoring
- .net framework
Company and Programme:
Raytheon is a leader in Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems, combining sensors and advanced networks to create entirely new ways of perceiving the world. Our Defence Intelligence Solutions (DIS) business is an industry leader in Geospatial Intelligence (GEOINT) and a trusted partner for MOD. Over the past 30 years, Raytheon has developed a deep understanding of Defence Intelligence missions through its involvement in multiple UK and international programmes, and has the domain knowledge and mission understanding crucial to the success of our customers. In recent years, Raytheon has partnered with MOD to successfully overcome challenges and complexities. Raytheon's culture is that we stand firm on our customer commitments - we will deliver.
The programme is a very dynamic, information technology-focused effort with multiple subcontractors supporting an operationally oriented customer with numerous mission critical demands. The systems include a collection of infrastructure components of servers, storage, workstations, networking and printers, and also a number of image analysis, processing, storage and retrieval software solutions. The systems are deployed across a number of sites in the UK with a mobile field deployable component for use in the UK and abroad.
Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success.