Mission Systems –Software Architect
Raytheon UK - Airborne Solutions
Manchester based, with regular travel to RAF Waddington, Lincolnshire
Raytheon UK is at the cutting edge of technology as a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence. We have developed exceptional capabilities in Mission Systems Integration in the Defence, National & Cyber Security and wider commercial markets. In addition to this we also design, develop and manufacture a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions right across our facilities at Waddington, Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester and Broughton.
As an MoD approved organization, the Airborne Mission Systems Group is able to provide complete Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) operational support and upgrades to Airborne Platforms supported by Raytheon UK.
We have an exciting new opportunity for a highly skilled and experienced Software Architect within the Airborne ISR Business to take a leading role delivering Agile software development programmes in a Mission Systems environment. The successful candidate will demonstrate recent highly successful experience providing technical direction to produce conceptual architectural designs, as well as setting the standards for 'hands-on' coding.
The successful candidate will be part of the growing Airborne ISR Team which delivers aviation engineering expertise across a wide range of projects to both military and civil Customers worldwide. This particular role will also support the Business Development team within Airborne ISR delivering tailored solutions to both UK and overseas Customers.
The role will be based at our Manchester site, but will initially involve 2/3 days per week at our RAF Waddington, Lincoln site in the first 6 months whilst the incumbent gets to grips with the Mission system architecture.
- The key task will be to design and define architectures for complex software based systems and document these designs and communicate them to all stakeholders.
- The Mission Systems Software Architect will be involved with the delivery of the entire development life cycle and will range from requirements capture, implementation and integration of requirements to testing and maintenance of the Ground and Airborne Mission System.
- The role involves the design and development of all aspects of product functionality, user interfaces and performance improvements and will require high competency in use of software patterns and other design methodologies.
- The candidate will act on behalf of the Software Design Authority to communicate risks and impacts of design changes to technical and non-technical stakeholders and will be a key contributor & independent reviewer at gate & design reviews.
- The Mission Systems Software Architect will continuously interface with the customer at multiple levels and will be expected to respond to scheduling and technical issues from both Customer and ‘home team’ communities.
- Demonstrable experience of military mission system architecture.
- Experience of working with Agile/SCRUM/DevOps delivery models in an architecture role.
- Solid understanding and experience of IEEE Standards.
- Experience in secure development techniques and tools that produce secure systems
- Demonstrable knowledge of/recent authoring experience, working within an aerospace/ environment.
- An able communicator verbal, written and presentational.
- A logical problem solver who can operate effectively under challenging project constraints.
- Able to manage and work within agreed timescales.
- Able to use initiative to improve team process and performance.
- Self-motivated and a strong Team Player.
- Eligible for or current holder of SC level security clearance (Raytheon will sponsor as required)
- Recent experience in requirements capture and design sell off to IEEE Standards.
- Recent experience with ArcGIS products.
- Experience in a military environment to military standards.
- Support of mission system testing facilities.
- Practical experience of reporting responsibility to management; time and performance tracking; customer facing and liaison.
- Greater experience in Project Management or business management would be advantageous
- Experience in managing teams of engineers, maintenance technicians and / or supply specialists etc.
- Exposure to the MOD in contracting for service delivery, especially with availability and/or serviceability targets
- An understanding of the challenges of small fleet support
Experience of working on major culture change and transformation endeavours