Electronics Engineer - Automation
31 Aug 2018
40 hours per week
Welwyn Garden City (Remus)
Ocado Technology develops the innovative systems that power the online grocery retail platforms of Ocado.com (the world's largest online-only grocery retailer), Morrisons (the UK’s fourth largest supermarket chain) and, in the near future, a number of international supermarkets (including Kroger’s, one of the largest in the USA). We are building an electronics team to support the exciting automation technology that is being developed here, and this is your chance to join at its inception.
What you will be doing
- Designing circuit boards with embedded processors, communications interfaces, and sensors.
- Identifying new ideas to improve our products, and producing reference designs to prove and implement these concepts.
- Designing for test; including the design of external test boxes and systems for software verification.
- Helping develop a rapid and flexible development process.
- Performing simple PCB layout tasks and working with external layout engineers where necessary.
- Preparing for manufacture (Bill of Materials, PCB data) and working with external suppliers.
With this in mind, we are looking for people with experience of designing and implementing embedded systems pcbs, both for products and proof-of-concept, and welcome the opportunity to work in a dynamic, unconventional environment where you set the rules. Are you that person?
Things we are looking for in a candidate
- A passion for embedded electronic design, in product development and research environments.
- Understanding of digital and analogue design, including Processors, Communication buses (e.g. CAN, Ethernet), and Sensors.
- Not afraid of sharing ideas and proposing solutions to problems, or challenging existing processes.
- Schematic capture and PCB layout using a commercial CAD package (Altium preferred but not essential).
- Writing simple code for embedded processors
- Working in a team with engineers from other disciplines (e.g. Software, Mechanical)
- Rework and assembly of PCB assemblies, simple cabling.
- Flexibility; Deals well with uncertainty, does not need conventional structures to operate within.
- Strong problem-solving credentials.
- A good degree, ideally in Electronics, Mechatronics, Robotics or a related subject.
What we can offer you
Within our flexible work environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include a generous pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled.
We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more), not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.