Software Architect - Mission Systems
Mission Systems – Software Architect
Manchester or RAF Waddington, Lincolnshire
Summary of Role:
As an MoD approved organisation, the Airborne Mission Systems Group is able to provide complete Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) operational support and upgrades to Airborne Platforms supported by Raytheon UK.
We have an exciting new opportunity for a highly skilled and experienced Software Architect within the Airborne ISR Business to take a leading role delivering Agile software development programmes in a Mission Systems environment. The successful candidate will demonstrate recent highly successful experience providing technical direction to produce conceptual architectural designs, as well as setting the standards for 'hands-on' coding.
The successful candidate will be part of the growing Airborne ISR Team which delivers aviation engineering expertise across a wide range of projects to both military and civil Customers worldwide. This particular role will also support the Business Development team within Airborne ISR delivering tailored solutions to both UK and overseas Customers.
The role will be based at our Manchester site, but will initially involve 2/3 days per week at our RAF Waddington, Lincoln site in the first 6 months whilst the incumbent gets to grips with the Mission system architecture.
- The key task will be to design and define architectures for complex software based systems and document these designs and communicate them to all stakeholders.
- The Mission Systems Software Architect will be involved with the delivery of the entire development life cycle and will range from requirements capture, implementation and integration of requirements to testing and maintenance of the Ground and Airborne Mission System.
- The role involves the design and development of all aspects of product functionality, user interfaces and performance improvements and will require high competency in use of software patterns and other design methodologies.
- The candidate will act on behalf of the Software Design Authority to communicate risks and impacts of design changes to technical and non-technical stakeholders and will be a key contributor & independent reviewer at gate & design reviews.
- The Mission Systems Software Architect will continuously interface with the customer at multiple levels and will be expected to respond to scheduling and technical issues from both Customer and ‘home team’ communities.
- Demonstrable experience of military mission system architecture.
- Experience of working with Agile/SCRUM/DevOps delivery models in an architecture role.
- Solid understanding and experience of IEEE Standards.
- Experience in secure development techniques and tools that produce secure systems
- Demonstrable knowledge of/recent authoring experience, working within an aerospace/ environment.
- An able communicator verbal, written and presentational.
- A logical problem solver who can operate effectively under challenging project constraints.
- Able to manage and work within agreed timescales.
- Able to use initiative to improve team process and performance.
- Self-motivated and a strong Team Player.
- Eligible for or current holder of SC level security clearance (Raytheon will sponsor as required)
- Recent experience in requirements capture and design sell off to IEEE Standards.
- Recent experience with ArcGIS products.
- Experience in a military environment to military standards.
- Support of mission system testing facilities.
- Practical experience of reporting responsibility to management; time and performance tracking; customer facing and liaison.
- Greater experience in Project Management or business management would be advantageous
- Experience in managing teams of engineers, maintenance technicians and / or supply specialists etc.
- Exposure to the MOD in contracting for service delivery, especially with availability and/or serviceability targets
- An understanding of the challenges of small fleet support
Experience of working on major culture change and transformation endeavours
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cyber security solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 96 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass
Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
25 days holiday + statutory public holidays
Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s.
Enhanced sick pay scheme
Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity & Shared Parental leave.
37hr working week, with an early finish Friday (hours may vary depending on role, job requirement or site specifics arrangements). Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
Canteen facilities available at Harlow & Glenrothes sites with free snacks & drinks (hot & cold) available at others
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I council, Reservist Network etc. and all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate regardless of their background.