Applied RF research scientist / engineer
Job Title: Applied RF research scientist / engineer
Salary: Competitive Salary - Experience Dependant
Closing date: 15th September 2018
NPL’s Electromagnetic Technologies Group is expanding its RF and microwave measurements team and is looking for a talented scientist or engineer who wishes to use their experience and knowledge to make a real impact that will help shape the future. The Group has a wide portfolio of work, both government and commercially funded, to develop and utilise measurement related research for the benefit of the UK. The main focus of the advertised role is in AgriTech sensing technologies including Lidar, Radar and computer vision
The work will involve undertaking research contracts for industry and government, and will focus on new product development. The work will involve significant interaction with customer and collaborators and you will be expected to present to both and some travel both nationally and internationally may be involved
Skills and Background/Experience required
You will have:
• A good first degree in a relevant subject (e.g. physics or electronic engineering)
• Excellent practical problem-solving skills, including electronics, design and programming
• Ability to manage own time and to work as part of an interdisciplinary project team and focus on customers’ requirements to tight deadlines.
• Strong communication skills (oral and written); including being able to present research results to a commercial audience
Experience from some of the following would be advantageous:*
• Experience in computer vision hardware, software or point cloud manipulation.
• Electronics design (PCB design, manufacture, testing)
• A sound theoretical and practical understanding of Electromagnetics
• Practical experience of optics, microwaves, electronics (RaspberryPi, Arduino etc.), antennas.
• Computer programming with Labview, OpenCV, C, Matlab, or Halcon.
• Demonstrable experience with commercial computational electromagnetic modelling and analysis tools.
• Ability to develop and apply advanced research techniques to solve complex and difficult measurement challenges
(* NB: the candidate does not necessarily require all these skills)
We will be interviewing throughout the campaign so please apply as soon as possible
For more information please contact Thalia on 02089438760 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant and free parking.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Practitioner.