- Job Type
As System Engineer in the Open Access Section, You will take responsibility for the smooth operation and evolution for the INSPIRE service.
Together with other senior members of the team, you will be re-launching an entire new service built on modern technologies (ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Flask, Celery, Redis, OpenStack, Docker); you will architect innovative crowd-sourcing services to allow our users to create connections across the information in our database; you will first-hand operate and develop new solutions; and most important you will support and mentor the junior developers at the core of the team.
As a System Engineer you will more specifically:
- Manage project-wide requirements in collaboration with the product manager and other senior engineers, articulating technical solutions, and setting priorities.
- Take responsibility for the continuous delivery of the service: from continuous integration, to automatic deployment on staging environment, to deployment in production.
- Maintain the service by monitoring and measuring availability and performance.
- Lead and coach junior software engineers to deliver and integrate specific INSPIRE components.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of: information technologies or a related field.
- Solid engineering experience in Python.
- Deep understanding of the Linux internals, including Kernel, Memory, Process, Threads Track-record monitoring system's health, performance and log aggregation.
- Experience in one of the following configuration management systems: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure such as: OpenStack, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
- Demonstrated ability operating and maintaining web applications with technologies like: HAproxy, nginx, RabbitMQ and PostgreSQL.
The following are considered as an asset but are not mandatory:
- Experience of Python web frameworks such as: Flask or Django.
- Familiarity with complex (open source) projects and an Agile development approach.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a medium web application (e.g. efficient algorithms, well-designed APIs, and security).
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages.
- Development of application software.
- Architecture and design of ICT systems.
- Production Service Maintenance.
- Design and selection of methods and tools.
- Spoken and written English, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations.
- Knowledge of French or the willingness to acquire it rapidly would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states).
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 19.08.2018.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.