Product Integration & Test Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
This role is for an Engineer who is part of a team responsible for Product Integration and Test activity to support design certification, assurance and acceptance for the EvO products. The role also requires the engineer to understand and support the implementation of continuous build and test automation pipeline for the Oakdale development teams. The test automation part of the role will require close working with the wider programme test and DevOps organizations to ensure the test automation toolchain meets the needs of the Oakdale teams.
EvO is the first phase of the MORPHEUS program which includes the transformation of BCIP to an open and flexible technical and business architecture.
Individuals in this role will carry out integration of software components, defining and executing test cases, and carrying out problem solving to identify defects and provide assurance evidence for the subsystem. Software Product Integration and Test Engineers operate as part of the product development team and will provide input into the System demonstration and aid where required the System integration teams at the Value Stream Level within a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). Tasks will be varied and include mainly product integration and will also require additional tasks to support the EvO Oak ART’s continuous build, automated test and continuous integration pipeline. This is seen as a very key part to integrating smarter, faster, better for EvO.
The successful candidate will work within a geographically dispersed, multi-disciplinary project team to deliver outputs that meet customer needs to defined quality standards within agreed timescales and budgets. He/She will also be involved in Product Integration and Test team strategic discussions helping identify opportunities for process improvements, supporting their implementation where applicable
- Analyse Features for test, to develop Test Cases to meet the test requirements and provide evidence that the “Feature” meets the completion and delivery criteria, and to successfully execute product integration and test activities
- Define test conditions, specifications, and scripts with reference to system and product specification, design and use cases
- When required, write scenario test cases to support testing of the whole sub-system prior to main system integration
- Execute tests and manage test results and associated data
- Support the production of test reports and associated test conclusions
- Support status reporting of product test activities.
- Carry out integration and test activity within the SAFe Agile Framework program
- Operate as part of the geographically dispersed EvO team to implement and regularly uplift the Oak ART’s continuous build, automated test and continuous integration pipeline activities
- Demonstrate when required the successful features to peers and customer community as part of a collaborative system demonstration
- Provides guidance and mentoring to more junior staff
- Competence in Software Integration and Test – depth of experience in some areas and breadth of understanding across the discipline, practicing as a Software test engineer on a complex development program ideally Agile
- Ability to carry out product integration and test activities as part of a geographically dispersed team
- Ability to work autonomously and with minimal supervision and also as part of team
- Technical awareness of computer systems hardware including knowledge of commercial IT architecture and technologies
- Proven methodical and analytic approach, fault finding skills and documenting of the fault information in a suitable manner
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficient in use of Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel and Visio
- Ability to generate well-structured technical documents and manage through a review process to achieve release to committed deadlines. Ability to present at progress and system reviews and contribute productively in the team and with external UK MoD and other stakeholders
- Able to write automated test scripts at a software scripting/JAVA/Selenium programming level
- Able to discuss solutions with team lead and recommend best approach
- Able to demonstrate ability to plan and manage own time and potentially that of junior staff
- Capable of providing technical leadership to more junior members of staff and influencing technical decisions at project level
- Able to apply technical knowledge to solve complex problems and develop discuss with appropriate stakeholders solutions and best practices
- Experience in previous test automation role
- Experience in automated build and continuous integration in an Agile environment
- Understanding and experience of developing Tactical C4I Systems; knowledge of the BCIP system
- Experience of Test script writing using IBM RTC/Quality Manager is desirable but some training would be given
- Knowledge of Agile and experience in an Agile environment ideally SAFe
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.