Senior Simulation Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
This role is for an experienced Systems Engineer with a Particular expertise in Simulation. The successful candidate needs to be experienced in the design and development of new simulation models, including algorithm development and the abstraction of real system behaviour within a simulation environment. Ideally needs to understand 'soft' and 'hard' analysis and be comfortable with the basics of statistical analysis and formal Design of Experiments (DoE).
Applicants will have knowledge of Real-Time and Discrete Event Simulations, together with an understanding of the different types of challenge posed by Deterministic and Stochastic models.
The role suits an experienced systems engineer with Breadth and depth of competence in Systems Engineering and Architectural Modelling and will be responsible for developing a formal set of high capability requirements and derived low-level technical requirements for developing a large-scale complex network simulation solution
- Liaison with stakeholders to develop a formal set of high capability requirements and derived low-level technical requirements for developing a large-scale complex network simulation.
- On-going development of the logical architecture design for the network simulation using SysML and PTC Integrity Modeller, including the mapping of proposed system components back to the requirements set held in DOORS.
- Liaison with the Software development team to ensure that the proposed method of implementation is appropriate and will not negatively impact the performance of the simulation.
- Ensure that the simulation framework provides open and extensible software architecture for future development.
- Creating and maintaining the Model Development Plan, Model Data Management Plan, and Model V&V Plan in line with Customer requirements and policy.
- Undertake the necessary V&V activities required to establish the ‘Fitness for Purpose’ of the delivered simulation model.
- Creation of supporting User guides and other documentation.
- Close collaboration with the customer community and the ability to explain complex simulations to a less informed audience
Breadth and depth of competence in Systems Engineering, specifically with expertise in:
- Requirements Analysis
- System Design and Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
- Working with defined standards
- Performing architectural trade studies
- Experience in the use of one or more the following engineering tools or equivalents: IBM DOORS, Rational Quality Manager, Rational Team Concert
- Experience of Architecture Modelling using PTC Integrity Modeller (a.k.a. Artisan Studio), IBM Rhapsody, Enterprise Architect or similar toolset supporting MBSE.
- Good working knowledge of SysML v1.3 (or later) and UML
Operational Research (OR) / Operational Analysis (OA):
- Experienced OA/OR practitioner familiar with all stages in the typical study lifecycle, from initial problem definition, selection of appropriate tools / methodologies, Verification & Validation (V&V), analysis, and reporting. Ideally needs to understand 'soft' and 'hard' analysis and be comfortable with the basics of statistical analysis and formal Design of Experiments (DoE).
- Experience in the design and development of new simulation models, including algorithm development and the abstraction of real system behaviour within a simulation environment.
- Experience in conducting formal Verification & Validation (V&V) activities on large and complex software simulations.
- Knowledge of Real-Time and Discrete Event Simulations, together with an understanding of the different types of challenge posed by Deterministic and Stochastic models.
- Knowledge of formal Design of Experiments (DoE) methodologies.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis techniques.
- Good communicator and able to work co-operatively in a team environment.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to generate well-structured technical documents and manage through a review process to achieve release to committed deadlines.
- Ability to present at progress and system reviews and contribute productively in the team and with external UK MoD and other stakeholders
- Self-motivated demonstrating integrity, professionalism, flexibility, commitment and innovation
- Needs to be confident and professional when working with development teams
Desirable Skills and Abilities:
- Domain Knowledge (British Army Force Structures, Tactics and Doctrine), (Tactical C4I Systems), (Tactical C4I Systems), (BCIP System, Capabilities & Design), (Network Modelling & Simulation)
- Understanding of common networking protocols and standards
- Demonstrable experience of object oriented programming, preferably in C++ or C#
- Knowledge of Database Design Techniques and Methodologies
- Ability to construct database queries using SQL or similar structured languages
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and VBA
- Familiarity with UK MoD policy for V&V of simulation models
- BEng/BS Honours Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience relevant to the knowledge and skills defined above
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme