Senior Software Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
This role is for a Senior Software Engineer to work as part of the Design Services Provision (DSP) team to develop and maintain complex Tactical C4i communication systems using engineering disciplines to deliver customer and end user focused design services.
The role will include leading and supporting developing, integrating and testing software onto the BCIP baseline, that meet customer needs to a defined quality standard within agreed timescales and budgets.
Key member of the team responsible for developing, integrating and testing software onto the BCIP baseline, following integrated product development procedures, GDUK software development processes and best practice. Responsibilities include:
- Analysing requirements - designing and implementing software subsystem components.
- Validating software designs against requirements and assumptions.
- Working proactively with System Engineering and specialist areas (security, safety, human factors, support and training) to ensure software design and implementation meet its requirements.
- Responsible for architectural software design and modelling, OO model driven development and maintenance.
- Identifying and documenting specification and interface changes.
- Undertaking and supporting product and integration test requirements and acceptance activities.
- Analysing and debug software integration issues on target hardware and software environments
- Driving best practice and continuous improvement
- Strong background in Software design, code, test and version control using current methodologies, processes and tools.
- Experience developing C++ (including MFC development) and C# (including WPF and WCF) software applications or Windows components within a software team, with Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Strong Microsoft Windows Platform development experience including a good understanding of Windows Operating System architecture (including 64-bit), development frameworks, services, and security features.
- Capable of analysing and debugging software integration issues on target hardware and software environments.
- Preparing documentation for design reviews, completing and closing actions.
- Peer reviewing source code, software designs and working to a coding standard.
- Validating software designs against requirements and design assumptions
- Experience of CASE tools that support UML model development.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to generate well-structured technical documents using Microsoft packages and manage through a review process to achieve release to committed deadlines.
- Ability to present at progress reviews and contribute productively in the team and with external UK MoD and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrates good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills as well as motivation, integrity, professionalism, flexibility, commitment and innovation.
- Appropriate educational qualification, knowledge and Vocational background in a Software Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics or equivalent discipline.
- Breadth of experience in a role that demonstrates technical leadership and application of Software Engineering skills.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the challenges associated with Software Engineering in a delivery focused, commercially successful organization.
- Knowledge of Windows internals including driver development, access control, authentication and security features
- Good understanding of the OSI-layered communications model.
- Strong background in OO Design, UML and design patterns.
- Experience of applying Human Factors Integration (HFI) principles to the design and development of application User Interfaces (UI).
- Defence/aerospace industry background
- Experience of using engineering methodologies and tools to manage requirements (DOORS), architecture/design (PTC Integrity Modeller), system integration and test (Application Lifecycle Management) at an appropriate level of detail is desirable
- Experience of working through the Systems Engineering Life cycle
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.
More searches like this
- Control & Instrumentation Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Design Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Electronics Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Project Engineering Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Systems Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager