Team Leader – MEICA Electrical Team
The Team Leader Electrical role sits within the Thames Barrier and Associated Gates (TBAG) engineering department specifically, the MEICA Electrical team.
The role will provide high quality technical and managerial instruction, advice and oversight to internal teams and senior colleagues with Thames Tidal Defences (TTD) and across the wider organisation with specific responsibilities for:
- As part of the TTD management team direct responsibility for a team of electrical specialists and craftsmen
- Managing TBAG Contractors and acting as client on MEICA related projects
- Oversight of High Voltage (HV) and control systems (and other MEICA) activities, including Senior Authorised Person (SAP) responsibility
- Acting in a role of Operator for TBAG asset flood defence and test closures
- Ensuring MEICA work complies with industry standards and requirements
- Provide input in to asset management and operational plans across the TBAG suite of active assets
- Planned, preventative maintenance across the TBAG suite of assets
The Thames Barrier and the five associated major flood gate structures at Barking and Dartford Creek and the tidal entrances to London’s Royal Docks are the Environment Agency’s largest and most critical “suite” of active assets. This suite is known collectively as the Thames Barrier and Associated Gates or “TBAG”. TBAG protects at least £200B of assets in Central London and 1.25M people from tidal flooding from the North Sea.
The Thames Barrier is the world’s largest navigable flood barrier at 520m wide with 10 movable steel gates. The four main navigational gates are steel structures 61m long and 20m high and weigh 3300 tonnes each. The barrier cost £500M in 1982 and is currently valued at over £1.4B.
The MEICA team (Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Control and Automation) is a small, specialised group of mechanical and electrical engineers who design, plan and maintain the mechanical and electrical aspects of the TBAG suite of assets.
Experience / Skills Required
Ideally you will be a qualified Engineer, specialising in the electrical aspects of MEICA and already have Incorporated or Chartered Engineer status. Alternatively you could be an aspiring professional who is working towards being an Incorporated or Chartered Engineer (support can be provided) and wish to develop a career in this field of engineering and who can grow and develop in to the role by working alongside other experienced colleagues.
Ideally you will have a line management experience and be able to demonstrate professional competence in an SAP role or equivalent. You will have knowledge of HV and controls systems.
You’ll have a methodical, intelligent approach to problem-solving and be confident in working with specialist contractors. You’ll possess ability and / or knowledge of and appropriate behaviours to:
- To work as part of a management team
- Bring your professional skills to influence high profile projects
- Provide technical support and advice on all MEICA electrical activities
- Understand the demands and requirements of a 24/7 operational site
You will be valued as a colleague who is integral to successful project delivery you’ll help to identify and solve design, operational and strategic issues, in conjunction with consultants and end users. Colleagues will look to you for technical advice and guidance on MEICA electrical issues and activities that impact on routine and operational activities. Electrical colleagues will look to you for leadership and management.
Additional Useful Information
The role is based at the Thames Barrier, Eastmoor Street, London.
Please note both Counter Terrorism Check (CTC) and CRC – Basic Disclosure Checks will be carried out.
A full UK Driving License is essential.
For further details please contact Steve East (Engineering Manager) by email: email@example.com. Or for more information and to download the candidate pack please click the application button.
More searches like this
- Automation Environment jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Control & Instrumentation Environment jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Electrical Environment jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Electronics Environment jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Mechanical Environment jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer