Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (OX14)
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Tokamak Energy aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors.
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small Spherical Tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then, the strategy has evolved to prioritise building a pilot plant to exceed fusion energy breakeven.
Person and Job Specification
The candidate will be part of the Electrical Engineering team. The team is responsible for the design, installation and commissioning of a large number of pulsed power supplies as well as installation and commissioning of the controls, diagnostics and safety systems for the ST40 programme.
Duties will include
- High power busbar installation including temperature monitoring systems.
- Earthing layout for stared system capable of handling high power impulse currents.
- Installation and commissioning of high voltage power supplies and high current power supplies.
- Commission and installation of PLC and HMI for equipment interlocks and LabVIEW for power supply control and remote user interface communications.
- Writing of risk assessments and installation method statements for proposed installations
Contacts and Communication
- Liaising with other engineers responsible for cooling water systems, vacuum and physics parameters.
- Liaising with various manufacturing companies.
- Internally the post holder will communicate with the Electrical Engineering Group manager, other mechanical and electrical engineers working within the Company.
- Externally the post holder will be responsible for the management of electrical engineering manufacture contracts and will therefore have to liaise with manufacturers and component suppliers.
Personal Skills and Attributes
- 3D or 2D CAD experience. E.g. AutoCAD, SolidEdge or other.
- Electrical power engineering.
- Good fault finding skills, using oscilloscopes and other test equipment.
- Fully conversant with engineering drawings and circuit diagrams.
- Good communication skills.
- Knowledge, understanding and application of BS7671 and Electricity Safety.
- Usage of Electrical circuit simulators for electrical simulation. E.g. PLECS or PSPICE or other.
- Power electronics experience, including simulation and design, and hands-on experience. Using SCRs, IGBTs, Supercapacitors and other power components.
- High power electrical experience, building power busbars, coil feedthrough and electrical jointing.
- Earthing system experience.
- PCB Creation, using OrCad, EagleCad or other.
- Experience in high voltage and high current pulsed power supplies and topologies.
- Experience in PLC and communication interfacing.
- Experience of using temperature monitoring (PT100, PT1000, Thermocouple) systems.
- The post will involve occasional travel within the UK and overseas.
- Previous experience within a scientific facility or similar.
Any other Relevant Information
The right candidate will be given training in required areas to perform their duties.
- Degree in Electrical Electronic Engineering
- Experience of working on pulsed power supplies
- Relevant experience at an appropriate level
- Health & safety IOSH
- 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme: Company contribution of 5% of salary after 3 months’ service
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months’ service
- Childcare voucher scheme
If interested, please send your CV and covering letter to us below.