Software Engineer (Entry Level)
Summary of role
A fantastic opportunity to join Raytheon UK in our Cyber Centre based in Greater Manchester. We develop software using a variety of Agile methodologies and you will be involved fully in the software development lifecycle, working closely with the entire team in a truly Agile environment. Working for Raytheon you will be part of a growing team, working alongside world class partner organisations. Raytheon supports on-going professional development through both formal and on-the-job training to help you further develop your career and develop your management and leadership potential.
Main duties of the position
Primary Objective: To design, develop and maintain mission critical applications and systems as part of an Agile team.
- Play a significant role in an Agile Software Delivery Team from both a technical and behavioural perspective.
- Contribute to the development of a high performing team with a focus on software excellence
- Hold accountability for the software you produce.
- Contribute to the development of the teams standards of software engineering practice applied in your team.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of practice and code within your team.
- Design and develop new product functionality within the context of an Agile software delivery team.
- Apply hands on best practice to your team’s code.
- Collaborate with your peers on Technical direction within your team.
- Experience of applying Design Patterns to complex problems.
- Awareness of Agile delivery team practices.
- Experience using Continuous Integration.
- Awareness of TDD.
- Awareness of BDD.
- Understanding of SOLID.
- Experience building web applications, services or embedded software.
- Working knowledge of at least 1 compiled language.
- Working knowledge of at least 1 scripting or interpreted language.
- Awareness of Data gathering, visualisation techniques and tools.
- Awareness of structured and unstructured storage of Data.
- Understanding of virtualisation.
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment.
- Experience working with infrastructure as code technologies.
- Experience working with Big Data technologies.
- Experience working with cloud technologies and distributed systems.
- Experience working with containerisation.
- Experience working on military or government projects.
- Experience working with secure development techniques.
- Knowledge of information security best practice.
- Good interpersonal skills for customer and partner liaison
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good time management, organisation and prioritisation skills
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to promote innovation
- A desire to learn and constantly expand your horizons
- Ability to work closely with others in a small team
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of initiative and flexibility
- Willingness to travel if required
Degree in Numerate Subject or equivalent industry experience essential.
About Raytheon Cyber Security…
Raytheon has decades of experience in cyber, information operations and information assurance to successfully protect our global customers’ critical infrastructure from the most complex threats. Increasing demand for our capabilities led to the establishment of our Cyber Innovation Centre in Gloucestershire, which has grown rapidly since opening in late 2014. This has created a broad spectrum of roles to support our customers in developing solutions for cyber security, research and mission support both technical and non-technical.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who are looking for something different from their career and who are demanding of themselves and others around them to achieve success. Raytheon's ambition is to provide an environment that is more silicon valley than security and defence. We want to encourage individual innovation and progression that is both exciting and rewarding, avoiding the dull 'beige' of the standard information security companies.
If you are looking for a role and a team that will challenge you to achieve success for our customers then providing you have the skills and the ability to achieve Government clearance we want to hear from you today.
What we can offer you…
- Ongoing development, with formal and on-the-job training, alongside the following benefits:
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits; such as buy/sell holiday, childcare vouchers, cycle to work, Gymflex and more
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success.
All successful applicants must be eligible & willing to obtain a SC clearance with the view to progressing to DV level which would be sponsored by Raytheon UK. For further information on the criteria to obtain this please visit - https://www.gov.uk/security-vetting-and-clearance