Lead Mechanical Engineer
Come and work with us the “TT Way” which means we do the right thing, bring out the best in each other, achieve more together, champion expertise and get the job done…well! With approximately 5000 colleagues we operate from 28 locations around the world. Building the expertise of our people is critical to the future success of our organisation.
TT Electronics is a global provider of engineered electronics. We collaborate with customers in the transportation, industrial, medical, and aerospace and defence markets, providing them with engineering expertise and support through a global network of specialists and world class facilities. As a responsible employer we encourage all our people to “give something back” by supporting the local communities in which we operate.
TT Electronics is in the process of establishing an Advanced Technology Centre (ATC) on site at Nottingham University Innovation Park. The role will be part of a fast growing team at our ATC, where you’ll be leading the way for engineering with the design and development of new value-added products and technologies for our Power Electronics division. In response to current customer demand, the ATC will initially focus on power solutions for the Aerospace and Defence market; supporting the drive towards ‘the more electric aircraft’ by developing smaller, lighter and more power efficient solutions.
Role Overview and Responsibilities
Overview of Role
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, this is a new role in TT’s soon-to-be-created Advanced Technology Centre. The role holder will be responsible for leading a small team of Mechanical Engineers covering all aspects of the design, development and testing of robust housings and assemblies used in a wide variety of Aerospace power converters. It is our aspiration to be at the forefront of the design and development of products that contribute to exciting and innovative developments across the industries we support.
This role offers the successful candidate the opportunity to build and lead an exciting new team servicing top tier customers. As the ATC develops, it will grow to support the organisation globally: this could offer the successful candidate the opportunity to explore and work with different areas of the business to solve different engineering challenges. The role is most suited to individuals who seek variety in the engineering work they do, and who seek the opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing and diverse team of technology experts.
- Leadership of a small team of mechanical engineers and technicians.
- Ownership of all mechanical aspects of aerospace power conversion products.
- Coaching and mentoring of junior mechanical engineers
- Review of customer specifications to determine the optimal mechanical solution. This will include ensuring full compliance with relevant industry standards including DO-160.
- Lead the design and technical development of mechanical solutions for products, working closely with other engineering and manufacturing teams.
- Review of 3D models and 2D drawings for compliance with drawing standards and liaising with the configuration team to get timely release of the drawings
- Approval of test plans and procedures for design assurance and qualification testing and appraisal of the test results.
- Review and approval of the mechanical elements of customer proposals.
- Ownership of all compliance matrix responses of the final product (mechanical and environmental).
- Continued development of the mechanical design manual. This will be developed in close liaison with the manufacturing sites.
- Lead all investigations related to mechanical failures, including collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Create and monitor a ‘lessons learnt’ database to record all product failures, test failure and customer delays; responsible for the development of new processes and procedures to eliminate future repeat issues.
- Continued personal development and development of professional and technical knowledge; attending seminars and workshops; review of trade papers and publications; frequent review and comparison of industry standards, DO-160 etc.; joining of trade associations; development of good working relationships with customers, suppliers and academics.
- Responsive team leader, providing engineering information to key stakeholders, freely sharing expertise
- Develop the capabilities and potential in the engineering team.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
Required Technical Skills:
- Mechanical Design Skills
- 3D Modelling Knowledge
- VB/VBA Knowledge
- Requirements Analysis
- Good 3D visualiser
- General Production Knowledge.
- Be able to undertake occasional travel both in the UK and Overseas
- To actively promote TT Electronics
- To develop personally and grow within the organization
- UK security clearance, or capable of obtaining one