Field Support Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
The FS Engineer is responsible for System diagnosis and testing; recording and applying any corrective actions necessary to restore full functionality to the BCIP systems on assigned Maritime or Land platforms. Periodically these platforms undergo routine maintenance, either against a servicing schedule, rebuild from RTA (Land Platforms) or ad-hoc task due to Operational Deficiencies (Maritime). In all cases GD-MS may be called upon to assess or manage the removal, rebuild, replacement and carry out full functional testing and/or STW /NWHT of the BOWMAN installations on Land and Maritime Platforms
- Provide Platform Field Engineering Support to MOD, Babcock, BAE and GDLS and others
- Rebuild, Inspect, Full Functional Testing, Reporting and Certification of BCIP systems installed on Land platforms.
- STW, NWHT and NWST Reporting and Certification of BCIP systems installed on Maritime Platforms
- The production, assessment and delivery of engineering reports produced against work conducted
- Ensuring that the tests conducted and any necessary diagnostics and corrective actions are conducted in accordance with current approved processes and procedures.
- Ensuring the security at all times of equipment, including cryptographic material, in their charge.
- Ensuring Quality Assurance inspections are carried out and that all work is completed in accordance with the provided schedule and to the appropriate documented standard.
- Ensuring a closed loop process is maintained and that all appropriate documentation is maintained.
- After inspection or repair, using appropriate means, ensuring that any limitations in platform functionality, including safety related issues, are appropriately documented and briefed to the customer, user and any relevant repair agencies.
- Ability to deal with Customer personnel of all levels.
- Other tasks as assigned by Manager
- BCIP platform design and system knowledge relating to Land and Maritime environments.
- Able to diagnose RF/IP based network faults utilising standard test equipment/software troubleshooting tools.
- Understanding of Earth Bond testing processes against defined Defence Standards.
- Knowledge of installation practices relating to military platforms.
- Knowledge of TacCIS Installation Procedures JSP604.
- Technical awareness of Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Systems Hardware.
- Able to generate test failure and inspection reports.
- Excellent PC skills and knowledge of Microsoft Applications.
- Ability to multi-task and cope under pressure, in a stressful environment.
- Flexible approach and quick learner of new systems.
- Ability to work with limited supervision often at Customer sites
- Knowledge of health and safety at work legislation and practices.
- Knowledge of Defence Standards.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Be able to lead a small working team of GD personnel
- Work well in wider teams comprising personnel from customers, users, and industry
- Experience in Defence technology/industry
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.