Systems Technical Author
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
GDMS-UK is looking to recruit a Systems Technical Author to be part of the Configuration and Data Management team, responsible for producing deliverables for one of our key programmes.
The candidate will be expected to work closely with our Systems Architecture and Design teams to see the process through from document creation to delivery to the customer. The successful candidate will maintain a substantial architecture/design document suite.
The post holder will review documentation for the programme to ensure it is fit for purpose and meets our customer’s needs, making sure that the quality of content from engineers is consistent and appropriate in terms of language and grammar. The candidate will play a lead role in ensuring documents are delivered to the customer to ensure milestones are met. They will work with the teams to drive continuous improvement in the quality of content while also working closely with Data Management to ensure timely delivery of documentation in line with programme demands.
Fully literate in Word, the ideal candidate will also be responsible for using technical solutions to draw content from a number of our systems, including the PTC Integrity Modeler and DOORS, into Word.
- Technical content review
- Translation of source data into deliverable artefacts (documentation) for the audience
- Liaison with engineers to develop, ensure consistency and improve content of documentation
- Work across multi-disciplined project and engineering teams to ensure outputs are correct and fit for purpose
- Delivery of outputs that meet customer needs within agreed timescales and budgets
- Developing processes to streamline document creation
- Other aspects of document management to support the programme when required
- Excellent written English
- Able to demonstrate good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly organised, with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build, develop and maintain relationships across all levels
- Ability to demonstrate high levels of motivation, integrity and professionalism
- Demonstrable skills in MS Word and Excel (including style and template creation as a minimum)
- Flexible team player who can work autonomously
- Experience of working with DOORS
- Familiarity with CASE tools such as IBM Rational Rhapsody, PTC Integrity Modeler
- Familiarity with Rational Publishing Engine
- VBA skills in Microsoft Word
- Experience of working to Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Experience of working within the Defence sector
- Experience as a technical author or similar proven experience
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.