Lead Product Engineer
Centrica Business Solutions (CBS) part of Centrica, is a leading provider of sustainable and energy efficient solutions to clients in many private and public-sector industries. We have a history of sustained growth and we have excellent opportunities for further significant expansion both in the UK and overseas.
CBS (Europe's leading CHP supplier) is recruiting and currently looking to fill the position of Lead Product Engineer at our manufacturing facilities in Salford, Manchester.
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits package + bonus
Responsible for leading mechanical product design solutions for distributed generation products (mainly CHP and Power Generation via Gas Engines). You will be responsible for the solution development and end to end mechanical product design and engineering for distributed energy units for our industrial and commercial clients. You will be required to maintain subject matter expertise in CHP and Power Generation that assigned to this role. You will support the product through its lifetime from production to commissioning to service. Accountabilities will include but not be limited to:
- Deliver industry leading energy generation solutions (CHP units from 35kW to 2.5MW and Power Generation units from 2MW) for industrial and commercial customers, working alongside other technical engineering teams.
- Ensure all work is achieved within agreed timescales, cost constraints and quality standards.
- Produce accurate and detailed P&ID diagrams to fully represent the CHP system
- To produce sizing calculations and to specify/select CHP components/equipment (e.g. pumps, fans, silencers, valves etc.)
- Provide design information to New Product Development (NPD) CAD to enable them to produce mechanical designs
- Collaborate with the commercial function and develop relationships with key suppliers (e.g. engine manufacturers)
- Work alongside the relevant technology specialists and engineers to produce comprehensive 2D and 3D design solutions and relevant bill of materials
- Conduct design reviews with other departments to gauge feedback/acceptance from wider business.
- Create & maintain technical construction files for CHP designs to comply with best practice and CE legislation
- Conduct/organise and lead risk assessments and HAZOPs
- Drive performance testing of the final CHP design including gas consumption, heat outputs, noise testing etc. and provide technical reports
- Attend meetings to offer advice and recommendations on CHP designs
Health & Safety
- Responsible for meeting all relevant health, safety, environmental & associated legal requirements for quality and ensure the team complies with these
- Responsible for creating a proactive culture of continuous improvement around health and safety within your team and integrating high performance in quality.
- Create the culture and processes to manage HSE, protect margin and deliver projects on time, championing CBS values.
You will hold a BA Hons in Mechanical Engineer as a minimum. You will also have working knowledge of AutoCAD, MS Office and factory parts management systems. Other competencies/skills:
- Mechanical engineering experience ideally linked to manufacturing of products
- The use and understanding of fluid/gas flow and thermal heat transfer/exchanger theory
- A background in generating detailed P&ID's and producing equipment schedules
- Good time management skills with track record of project/design delivery to plan
- Extensive experience in mechanical product design role
- Awareness of British Standards and CDM regulations
- Knowledge of fabrication and protective finish processes
- Awareness of H&S legislation including any site specific regulations