Lead Software Engineer
Raytheon UK is seeking a Lead Software Engineer to join a Programme Engineering team in our Defence Intelligence Services (DIS). The role will be to act as a Tech Lead in a Software team to develop and deliver a wide range of mission critical applications to our Defence and Intelligence customers. This will involve the both the development of custom software as well as the integration of COTS and bespoke software. Dedicated development, test and integration environments are available to support problem investigation and resolution as well as distribution of new software releases.
This role offers a skilled and motivated Software Engineer an exciting opportunity to join the DIS team at a very exciting time. The successful candidate will find themselves working on programmes at various stages of the development lifecycle, from requirements analysis through to design, build, test and acceptance into live service. This will also be an opportunity to get involved with the transformation of our approach from traditional waterfall processes to an agile process where we will be partners with our customers rather than traditional defence suppliers. The role will also include the opportunity to work with our supplier base specifying and supporting the integration and testing of the third party subsystem deliverables.
During the initial stages of the projects some time must be spent in either Feltham (UK) or Richardson (Texas, US) to allow for knowledge transfer from existing experts. All expenses will be paid for.
- Design and develop product functionality, user interfaces and performance improvements
- Key contributor & independent reviewer at gate and design reviews
- Act as Subject Matter Expert as part of a 4th tier resolver group to analyse and resolve system defects in response to service requests, incidents, problems and events
- Liaise with 1st to 3rd line, transition and design as required
- Validating and verifying the design artefacts from internal teams or subcontractors
- Provide input to configuration, safety and quality management as appropriate
- Document design and advise on product support material
- Investigate product issues and develop solutions to customer problems
- Develop test plans and methodologies to ensure product meets Raytheon quality standards
- Lead continuous technical improvement and re-architecting activities
- Provide support to remote sites and REGO as required Assist in updating software design artefacts
- Interfacing with COTS vendors for technical support
- Provide technical support (e.g. Requirements Analysis and System Design) to Raytheon programmes delivering new capability into operations
- Validating design documentation from subcontractor teams
- Assist in preparing system data migration and transition plans
- Good experience and understanding of software and systems engineering principles and lifecycle
- Expertise in J2EE development - specifically with web application development
- Able to carry out duties with minimal supervision
- Skilled in problem analysis and resolution in a secure environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Current holder of or eligibility to obtain SC or DV security clearance
A comprehensive training package is available to support the right candidate grow in to some of the desirable areas
- Experience of large complex secure systems
- Experience of leading a software development team
- Demonstrate high competency in use of software patterns
- Oracle 10g/11g: experience of programming in PL/SQL and Java
- Demonstrable experience in software architecture and design
- Experience of designing, implementing and using secure Web services
- Windows system administration experience
- Programming for GIS applications
- Experience developing with JavaServer Faces
- Websphere Portal / App Server experience
- Knowledge of the integration of computer hardware including networking in a secure environment
- Experience of integrating engineering components from a subcontractor
- Knowledge/experience of GIS and image processing application software
- Experience with business process management software (Fujitsu IBPM)
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 95 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Raytheon Career Development
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
- 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
- Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental leave.
- 37 hour working week with an early finish Friday. Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
- Canteen facilities available at Harlow and Glenrothes sites with free snacks and drinks (hot and cold) available at others
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I counsel and Reservist Network which all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate in.