Engineering Software Profession Lead
As a leading international defence organisation we have a unique opportunity for an experienced individual to support the development of our Software Engineering Team.
Raytheon is growing its Software capabilities and capacity across its Mission Areas. We wish to recruit an enthusiastic Software Engineer to fully understand the strategic direction, identify improvement opportunities, and execute all approved initiatives to completion. The roles also includes providing governance and support of all major developments that have significant software engineering efforts.
With no line management responsibilities, this is the ideal role for a hands-on Software Engineer who has a passion and drive to utilise their experience in shaping and influencing the short-term and strategic direction of the Software Engineering profession within Engineering.
Due to Engineering being dispersed across multiple sites, and the role requiring an in-depth understanding of all areas of the business, there will be the need for travel across the UK, with some international travel to US.
- Report to the Head of Engineering Cyber and Intelligence
- Develop and articulate a good understanding of the short- and long-term Software Engineering capabilities and capacity, providing recommendations on how to address gaps from current state, e.g. Training and Partnerships.
- Provide significant input to the assignment and re-deployment of Software Engineering resources (internal and external) to current and future programs, including support for the recruitment and selection.
- Governance of all Software Engineering processes and tools ensuring best practices are adopted. Building a strong Software Engineering community, with a continuous improvement, affordability and sustainability ethos.
- Develop meaningful KPI measures that both justify the role and ongoing progress.
- Responsible and accountable for various governance areas such as : Engineering Programme Reviews related to the profession, perform independent review of Basis of Estimates and sign-off at Bid Phase and chairing significant Gate and Design reviews.
- Manage reach back into the US (corporate and businesses) to make best use of all assets for the Raytheon UK business, and benchmarking with other market leading enterprises.
- Play an active role in growing the capability of engineering within Raytheon UK, leading change where appropriate.
- Hands-on leadership for the execution of engineering development projects/programmes across the development lifecycle
- Working knowledge in some of the following areas, such as Enterprise, Cyber and Embedded, COTS Integration & Test Development
- Knowledge of some of the following programming languages: Java, .NET, C++, PLM, Matlab / Simulink, Visual Basic
- Knowledge of some of the modelling notations: UML / Star UML; and Tools: Enterprise Architect, Subversion / GIT, AllChange, Automated Test Tools
- Software development standards would be desirable: Mil Std 498, DO-178, CMMI, IEC61508
- Working knowledge of Waterfall and Agile Methods / Tools / Processes
- Developed long-lasting cross-functional relationships, including Business Development, Programme Management, HR, IT and Finance to achieve results for the main duties above
- Demonstrable skills in communicating at all levels within an organisation, and able to influence and negotiate at all levels
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop and then achieve the measures and targets, with an ability to draw conclusions from disparate sources of data and information
- A positive outlook with a "can do" attitude, but able to say no
- Resourceful, innovative, adaptable and persuasive in obtaining the data, and then driving through approved changes, with no formal authority
- Decisive person who bases their decision on sound reasoning & data
- Resilient and persistent with an ability to positively influence at all levels
- Ability to multi-task on several assignments and complete all to a high standard, with a high degree of energy to deliver on commitments
- Ability to listen, understand issues and work collaboratively
- Eligible to obtain or current holder of SC (preferably DV) level MoD Security clearance.