Senior Human Factors Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
The immediate position is within the AJAX Project Team as a Senior Human Factors Engineer, reporting directly to the GDUK Human Factors Integration Lead. The successful candidate will provide a focal point within multi-disciplined project teams for Human Factors requirements associated with installation of sub-systems or complete design and development at the platform & subsystem levels. The role will also encompass physical Ergonomic assessment throughout the design, qualification and verification phases of a project lifecycle. The role will take a holistic approach to engineering, taking into account factors such as cost, design for manufacture and through life support.
This position is based at the Oakdale 2 facility in South Wales with occasional travel to Merthyr Tydfil
- Act as a Human Factors specialist within the AJAX Project Team and on New Business projects, liaising externally with the customer and internally with the GDUK Design and Production Engineering teams
- Interpret Human Factors requirements and disseminate them as a design brief to the project team
- Provide Human Factors advice and guidance to the GDUK Engineering team and support the preparation of system specifications
- Conduct design appraisals through ergonomic assessment of system designs at the platform & subsystem level and provide documented evidence to support progressive assurance and requirements compliance
- Liaise with the Human Machine Interface Authority on all aspects of HFI process through to certification
- Represent Human Factors at internal and external design reviews and customer assessments
- Participate in the assessment of physical installation of sub-systems into the platform environment during prototype and pre-series production build, through to series production and initial fielding
- Provide technical support and interface to the Integrated Logistic Support team with regard to Training, Maintainability, etc.
- Considerable related experience
- A degree in Ergonomics or related discipline
- A proven track record of the application of Human Factors theory to development of an engineered solution
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.