General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day to day management and delivery of several projects within the C4i area, and is likely to include leading competitive and non-competitive bids for similar work. Projects could consist of a variety of design, manufacture and support projects. To be considered for the role, individuals should have experience working in a project environment with multiple stakeholders, and show a positive can do attitude towards problem solving.
Working with a large engineering team, and jointly with MoD colleagues, this role will be responsible for the planning and execution of various C4i projects and bids. The scope encompasses leading the project teams, alongside a lead engineer. Close working with MoD customers, and other partners and suppliers in the defence industry will be required, in addition to delivery within the allotted time, budget and quality requirements. The Programme Manager will be expected to meet the capabilities, experience and competence requirements summarised below while managing a portfolio of projects of medium complexity.
In addition to core project management experience, it is desired (but not essential) that the successful candidate will have BOWMAN and / or logistics management experience.
Some, largely UK based, travel will be required
- Lead sub-contractors and delivery teams to ensure that the project is delivered to time, cost and quality constraints
- Establish and develop key stakeholder relationships (Customer, User, Partner, Supplier) clearly communicating project performance and status
- Demonstrate an ability to deliver continuous improvement, both internally and with customers/stakeholders
- Ensure that all potential follow-on orders are identified and realised within the team
- Actively support the delivery of the C4I business strategy and ensure all delivery actions and behaviours support the key internal business capture campaigns
- Provide strong leadership to the project teams to resolve matters relating to costs, work schedules, commercial and technical issues
- Identify, manage and mitigate project risks and multiple dependencies between programmes
- Manage project financial targets (Sales, Billings/Cash, Margin)
- Customer Focused and a Drive to deliver Results
- Have written and oral communication skills when communicating with stakeholders including technical and non-technical parties are essential;
- Have a can-do attitude and deliver solutions to difficult challenges;
- Show leadership and accept responsibility;
- Lead a bid team to develop price/proposals and Customer negotiations
- Knowledge and familiarity with MoD’s acquisition process
- Subcontract and supplier management
- Scheduling and detailed planning (Toolset support provided by project control team but MSP knowledge preferred)
- Relevant experience of working in a controlled project environment as a Programme Manager
- Financial management (practical budgeting/cost management ability)
- Proven ability of time scheduling/phasing on a portfolio of projects
- Proven practical application of risk management with medium risk projects
- Ability to lead medium-sized project teams
- Ability to communicate using a variety of different mediums, accurately and in a timely manner
- Be skilled at collaborative working, with good interpersonal skills and able to communicate effectively with clients, stakeholders and colleagues;
- Be highly flexible and self-motivated towards improving team and personal performance;
- Experienced programme or engineering management
- Attention to detail
- APMP /APQ qualification
- Technical / Business degree preferred but not essential
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Experience working in a complex project environment
- Have a proven track record of managing multi-disciplinary teams;
- Have proven experience of managing packages and projects;
- Have proven experience of managing budgets, of delivery to deadline and evidence of problem resolution in the process;
- Have proven experience of managing bids, competitive and non-competitive, in a defence environment
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme