Engineering, Physics and Math Graduates - Software Engineer
Purpose of job
Provide technical solutions for our products and projects in the underwater defence domain. This may include autonomous vehicles, sonar systems and performance, underwater acoustics, acoustic propagation, signatures, signal processing, environmental exploitation, design of complex systems for the underwater defence and security environment, etc.
Reports to Team Leader
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
Permanent, full time (37 hours/ week)
Outline of knowledge, skills and personal qualities required across the range of roles and examples of the types of application shown below. Training and development relating to the specific job role will be provided.
Qualifications and skills
- Degree or equivalent (i.e. BSc, MSc, PhD) in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering, Mathematics, System Engineering, Physical Sciences, Project Management or related science/engineering subjects.
- Good A level grades, or equivalent, including Mathematics and Physics
- Good report writing and general written skills
- Competent in the use of Microsoft packages
Knowledge and experience (will be developed in the job role if not held)
- Awareness of submarine and ship systems
- Knowledge or experience of sonar, underwater systems, signal processing (knowledge and appreciation of technical analysis).
- Understanding and application of project management principles
- Awareness of system engineering process and documentation
- Software skills using development, scientific or engineering software
- Awareness and understanding of budgetary control and reporting.
Examples of application
- Research into sonar, electro-magnetics, signal processing, modelling (including computer modelling and model development), simulation, data analysis and experimentation.
- Design of complex systems to provide solutions to the development of processes and products, ranging from small component designs to complex and large equipment for use in the underwater environment.
- Mechanical design including assembly design, structural and stress analysis, calculation, materials election; present designs to external customers; support testing and acceptance.
- Support sea trials on board ships and submarines.
- Focused on delivery
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Sound analytical skills; logical thinker
- Can plan and manage own work ensuring it meets delivery timeframes
- Presentation skills – able to present information coherently and confidently to all levels, including customers
- Ability to communicate with non-specialists
- Good interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates sound judgement consistently
- Ability to take on and deliver complex tasks to time, cost and quality
- Application of knowledge and expertise in challenging and diverse domains
- Ability to understand the military and civil customer requirements and turn these into user and system requirements
- Ability to transition research into products or new research areas
Key accountabilities may include
- Applies engineering practices to day to day situations
- Support to team in technical liaison with customers and agreement of requirements
- Provide sound advice and guidance on technical matters
- Uses technical knowledge to offer solutions to problems that are fit for purpose; thinking innovatively and creatively
- Provide technical input to bids and projects; writing reports
- Works to required safety and quality standards
- Work on board ships and submarines, travel in the UK (and possibly overseas)
- Highly self-motivated
- Keen interest in science and engineering
- Flexible and adaptable
- Demonstrates determination to succeed
- Keen and quick to develop and learn
- Proactive in applying knowledge in other domains
- Enquiring mind, can think laterally and challenge the status quo
- Able to apply knowledge and ideas to real problems
- Thorough and conscientious
- Team player
The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance).
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post by the closing date and state the job title in the subject line.
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Apply for Engineering, Physics and Math Graduates - Software Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly