UX Designer Placement
UX Designer Placement
Are you always thinking about how a product could be easier to use? Do you want to help people reach their goals and feel satisfaction in doing so?
As a UX Designer at Focusrite/Novation you can do this as you to bring products visions to life. With a keen focus on User Centered Design (UCD), you analyze the goals of the user, identify the critical tasks that will be achieved with the product, and then take the lead in defining the interactions of the user interface.
To do this you will perform a wide variety of research to understand our users and their needs, whilst also wireframing the interface and interaction of the product. You’ll also work with our skilled engineers to define the best solution, testing them in usability tests with our users and communicating the design to the wider business.
Who you are
Innovator: You take time to iterate and discuss design approaches, investigating wide and then diving deep when you have a clear vision. This applies not only to your work but how you work, you are always looking at ways to improve your skills and working practices.
Decision Maker: You take all information available to you and make a clear decision to progress a project forward, whilst
maintaining a close eye on new discoveries that may require a change in direction.
Problem Solver: You are driven to continually learn about people and technology and thrive on the challenge of developing answers to tricky questions
Communicator: It is easy and pleasurable for you to present your research and designs, leading conversations with a multidisciplinary team to answer tricky questions and keep everyone informed.
Empath: You desire to learn from our customers, via face to face interaction, usability tests and other forms of research. You are able to identify trends in user behavior and goals and have the user at the forefront of your mind for each decision you make.
Collaborator: You understand the power of working with others. You understand how best to work with each team members unique strengths, needs and desires to work in a fun, happy environment.
What you’ll do
- Carry out extensive research to understand users and their goals, in the form of interviews, surveys, on site research and critical thinking
- Develop interactive wireframes and prototypes to discover the best and most delightful implementation of features to help users achieve their goals
- Thoroughly test your designs via Usability Tests with target users to ensure their validity and success.
- Work with the Product Management team to deliver products that support the brand strategy and business goals. Helping the Product Owner to understand usability implications of a task and to reduce the complexity of the design
- Own the design of an early idea in to a fully realised product, ensuring the completion of important tasks, that can be developed by our engineering teams
- Communicate your designs and their benefits to the business
What you’ll need
- Ability to clearly communicate goals and challenges, presenting and leading discussions on a product concept
- Able to think critically to deliver inspiring designs
- Feeling empathy for your users and being able to see things from their perspectives rather than your own, is crucial
- Experience in digital wireframing tools such as Axure, InVision or Framer
- Ability to envision designs via hand drawings or digital drawing including Adobe Illustrator or Sketch
- An appreciation of the development process for websites and other digital content
- Experience in web development is not needed but may be considered a plus
Please be aware that this role does not involve any Computer Aided Design (CAD) or Mechanical Design work, although you will collaborate with members of these teams.
Doing a 12-month placement at Focusrite is like becoming one of the family. A rapidly growing, global family. We’re focused on providing opportunities for everyone and anyone to enjoy creating music.
Our placements are very popular, and that’s mainly because you can really get stuck in during your year with us. We don’t ask you to answer the phones and do the photocopying. We want you to help develop our products, market our brands, speak to our customers and make us better. A lot of our previous placements are now full-time employees.
All placements last for 12-months. We pay you £15k per year (£16k in London), and you get to share in some of the same benefits as our permanent employees; an employee purchase scheme, free breakfast and lunch, company music events, lunch and learns from across the business and external visits – we’re all about innovation, fresh thinking and creating awesome music making experiences for our customers.
Our four brands, Focusrite, Focusrite Pro, Novation and Ampify, come together around a common mission to remove barriers to creativity.
Focusrite is The Interface Company. That’s what it does. More people record and listen to their productions through Focusrite than any other interface brand. The Focusrite Pro division has been created as a distinct group, focused on serving the unique needs of commercial operations.
From the ubiquitous Launchpad 8 x 8 grid behind over a billion YouTube views, to the synthesisers behind a constantly evolving new musical landscape, Novation plays a huge part in shaping the music and art of tomorrow.
Born out of Novation and based in Tileyard, Kings Cross, Ampify holds true to our fundamental purpose, creating cool music-making software that brings the life-enriching experience of music making to a larger audience than ever before.
We work hard. We are professional. And we play hard too. We select really, really talented and passionate people. And we absolutely love our work. So if you think you can bring something new to the mix, we look forward to hearing from you.
Please apply for as many of our placements as you wish.
Timetable for applications
Deadline to apply: Monday 7th January 2019
Interviews: February 2019
Offers made by: Monday 18th March 2019