Senior Commercial Officer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
- Manage, with limited guidance, the execution of high and medium risk contracts
- Provide commercial and contractual advice and guidance to the business units and other commercial employees
- Manage the companies’ Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio
- Ensure that any business the company enters into is compliant legally and with company and GD Corporate policies and procedures and is commensurate with approved levels of risk and maximises potential profitability
- Manage license agreements
- Management of aspects of major customer contracts
- Drafting Contracts and other commercial documentation (e.g. NDA, loan agreements teaming agreements, confidentiality agreements and licences)
- Review and negotiate subcontractor terms and conditions to identify and minimise risk and non-compliance to company policy on medium to higher risk contracts
- Flow down of appropriate customer contract terms to subcontractors
- Support functional and business initiatives while always striving to improve work efficiency
- Ensure that the companies IP is effectively protected
- Work alongside and support the business area including Programme Managers, Finance and Engineering teams.
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with internal departments, customers and/ or subcontractors.
- Attend internal and external meetings and provide day-to-day communication with the customer and sub-contractors.
- Liaise with customers and/ or subcontractors to discuss and resolve commercial issues (including claims & disputes) on those allocated contracts and support Commercial Officers in resolution of small claims/disputes.
- Provide assertive support to business area team negotiations taking the lead on contractual terms and conditions with new and existing customers and/or Sub-contractors to minimise the companies liabilities and maximise opportunities.
- Act as point of contact with the customer for all commercial and contractual matters
- Liaise and support all departments as required to ensure risk is managed effectively. Work proactively to turn potential risks into positive outcomes for the business.
- Contract management and customer relationship management experience
- Negotiation experience
- Good working knowledge of terms and conditions and contractual law
- A reasonable working knowledge of drafting of tenders, contracts and other commercial documentation
- Working knowledge of intellectual property and IP protection in a commercial environment
- Knowledge of finance processes
- IT literacy – adept at using in-house Contracts Management system, as well as standard office software packages
- Experience of software license terms and agreements
- Ability to build relationships with customers and/ or subcontractors to discuss and resolve general issues
- Ability to be flexible to work in a highly dynamic, pressured environment
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Good analytical & problem solving skills
- Ability to remain calm and focused while managing conflicting demands on time and working under pressure
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing, in order to negotiate contracts and to explain complex legal concepts to non-experts
- Self-confidence and ability to stand one’s ground while remaining calm and professional
- Able to give and take advice without causing or taking offence
- Attention to detail and thorough approach to work
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Basic education (GCSE (or equivalent) including maths and English language preferred) ideally degree or equivalent in related subject
- Commercial / Contract experience preferably within UK Defence
- Typically requires degree level education, and a wide range of relevant experience, or equivalent.
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.
More searches like this
- Control & Instrumentation Defence jobs in Director & Senior Management
- Design Defence jobs in Director & Senior Management
- Electronics Defence jobs in Director & Senior Management
- Project Engineering Defence jobs in Director & Senior Management
- Research and Development Defence jobs in Director & Senior Management