Lead Mechanical Design Engineer - Salford
Centrica has an exciting opportunity for a Lead Mechanical Design Engineer to join our Centrica Business Solutions (CBS) team. CBS is a leading provider of sustainable and energy efficient solutions to clients in many private and public sector industries. We have a history of sustained growth and excellent opportunities for further significant expansion both in the UK and overseas.
The candidate will need a solid technical design background and experience of simple Combined Heat and Power (CHP) installations requiring conceptual design input through to complex energy solutions combining multiple technologies.
Salary: Competitive + excellent benefits + bonus + car
The role involves customer sites visits to carry out surveys to assess the feasibility of CHP led energy projects. This will involve assessing various aspects including location, access, mechanical and electrical connections, ventilation and exhaust routes and costing the installation of such utilising in house excel programs. You will be responsible for leading mechanical design solutions for distributed generation projects which include CHP, Gas and Diesel Generation, and energy solution technologies.
The successful candidate will formulate the initial design and, with the support of our CAD team, produce drawing arrangements for presentation to the client.
Responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for the solution development and end to end design and engineering delivery function for distributed energy projects for our industrial and commercial clients
- Maintain subject matter expertise in the relevant distributed generation technology that assigned to this role
- Site visits and follow up reports
- Take a prominent role in technical meetings during the tender stage
- Assist in the preparation of the costs for the proposal
- Preparation of P&ID drawings
- Obtaining quotes for the quotation / project and preparation of lists of materials
- Provide technical support to customers both external and internal (Production, Service & Contracts)
We are looking for candidates who have knowledge of CHP and energy efficiency markets. You must have demonstrable knowledge of assessment of solutions coupled with strong project management and leadership skills. We are also looking for the following skills and experience:
- Minimum degree level in Mechanical Engineering, Building Services or other relevant subject or an established background in the industry
- Organised with a logical approach
- Ability to be able to work alone on projects whilst being part of a larger Mechanical design team
- Strong technical skills in energy efficient systems with direct experience of delivering CHP and energy saving projects
- A proven track record on technically leading projects and delivering to agreed deadlines
- Ability to articulate complex solutions to non-technical people.
- Ability to work as a team with a proactive approach to dealing with clients and/or suppliers
- Boiler house / plantroom design experience would be beneficial