Senior Mechanical Engineer 125622BR
The ASTOR Air Systems Senior Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for the in service support of the Air Vehicle (Sentinel RMk1) Mechanical Design and reports to the Lead Engineer, Design Support Services - Mechanical Systems based at RAF Waddington.
This position requires signatory level experience and knowledge of aircraft mechanical systems, structures, repairs and structural integrity analysis, particularly on mid to large size transport aircraft, with a focus on military variants.
The successful candidate will also be part of the growing Airborne Solutions Team which delivers aviation engineering expertise across a wide range of projects to both military and civil customers worldwide.
The Air Systems Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will be part of a team and report to the Lead Engineer, Mechanical Systems within the DSS organisation of the ASTOR Whole Life Support Team. They will be responsible for:
- Supporting our customer with appropriate Mechanical design advice in order to resolve aircraft and airworthiness issues.
- Developing modification proposals with OEMs for Aircraft structural and mechanical modifications and enhancements.
- Reviewing design solutions with a view to obtaining a DAOS approval signatures from the DA.
- Progressing structural and mechanical design modifications in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Analysis of structural and mechanical flight systems design issues, determination of actions and solution.
- Liaison with OEM’s to resolve defect investigations and to draft corrective actions.
- Providing inputs to the ASTOR Configuration Control Board and take part in Configuration Audits.
- Ensuring that all engineering activities undertaken under your control are conducted in accordance with Raytheon UK site procedures that reflects best practice, and is in accordance with Raytheon UK and MAA procedures.
- Support to formal customer reviews, including the Structural Integrity Working Group and Local Technical Committees.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Aeronautical or Mechanical Systems Engineering discipline or equivalent;
- Evidence of signatory held for the sign off of aircraft mechanical systems or structures under a military DAOS or civil Part 21 J CVE based Design Approval.
- Evidence of applying MAA RA 5000 or EASA Part 21J Design Requirements to aircraft mechanical systems and structures.
- Knowledge and experience with aircraft mechanical flight systems.
- Familiarity with and use of Aircraft Structural Repair manuals.
- Demonstrable engineering capability and someone who can anticipate problems and plan to mitigate them.
- A proactive team-player who is self-motivated and able to work with their peers and drive success.
- An able communicator in verbal, written and presentational forms.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows based software.
- Knowledge and experience of the Bombardier Global Express Aircraft and structures.
- Familiarity with working in a Continued Airworthiness environment under Part M approval.
- A Finisher – who delivers what they commit to do;
- Integrity and honesty; able to deliver bad news as well as good, committed to maintaining the fleet structural integrity whatever the pressure;
- Energy and Drive; willing to work long hours when required;
- Staying Power; maintains personal motivation over the long haul;
- Courage; able to make the difficult decisions as well as the easy ones..
Eligible for or Holder of current SC security clearance (RSL will sponsor as required).
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cyber security solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 96 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass
Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory public holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
- 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
- Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s.
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental leave.
- 37hr working week, with an early finish Friday (hours may vary depending on role, job requirement or site specifics arrangements). Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
- Canteen facilities available at Harlow & Glenrothes sites and Manchester & Gloucester offer free snacks & drinks (hot & cold).
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I council, Reservist Network etc. and all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate regardless of their background.