Electrical/Avionics Design Engineers CONTRACT 123131BR
Summary of Role:
The Senior Air Systems Electrical / Avionics Design Engineer is required to undertake a leading role within the Aircraft Systems Design Team of Raytheon’s Airborne ISR business, supporting multiple aircraft projects across all Raytheon Airborne ISR sites (Broughton, Harlow and Waddington). They will work within both civil and military environments and the successful candidate will report to the Head of Systems at Harlow.
The work of the Aircraft Design Team includes providing technical solutions and developing modifications to customer owned aircraft, both military and civil. This can include the introduction of new aircraft avionic or mission systems, RF and antenna systems and electrical power generation/ distribution equipment/systems.
The successful candidate will also be part of the growing Airborne ISR Engineering Team which delivers aviation engineering expertise across a wide range of projects to both military and civil customers worldwide.
This role is ideally suited to a senior aircraft avionic engineer with industry related experience. The role offers an exciting challenge in supporting the Raytheon Airborne ISR programmes with responsibilities for:
- Taking ownership of aircraft modification packages throughout the entire design lifecycle.
- Developing modification proposals with Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) for the introduction of new or upgraded aircraft electrical and RF avionics and mission systems capabilities.
- Customer liaison to develop customer concepts and documentation of requirements.
- Supporting the Engineering Manager in the preparation of bids and proposals.
- Liaison with OEM and other suppliers to gather detailed understanding and suitable documentation to facilitate detailed installation/ integration design.
- Analysis of systems design issues, determination of actions and solutions.
- Initial system design and subsequent liaison with the detail design team to develop the final solution in a timely manner.
- Managing the development of modifications to the aircraft by planning and administration of the Modification Design Processes.
- Liaison with the Production Organisation to solve problems arising in installation.
- Production of test documentation and other analyses/ reports.
- Liaison with test/ production engineers to complete test regime as required.
- Production of modification control documentation and subsequent certification of the resulting modification with CAA, EASA, MAA or other certification requirements as appropriate.
- Liaison with Certification Authorities as required.
- Production and review of modifications to the Aircraft Document Set.
- Presenting information at both internal and external design reviews.
- Ensuring that all engineering activities undertaken are conducted in accordance with Raytheon UK and site procedures that reflects best practice and is in accordance with Raytheon UK and the relevant governance agencies procedures.
- Degree or equivalent in electrical engineering, avionic engineering, physics or similar engineering or scientific discipline.
- Proven and recent experience in the design, integration and certification of aircraft avionic and electronic systems at a senior level in either a civil or military environment.
- Wide knowledge of current avionic and military sensors and systems.
- Knowledge of aircraft power generation and distribution systems.
- Understanding and experience of the Systems Engineering life cycle.
- Experience of working within a multi-discipline engineering team within the aerospace industry.
- An able communicator in verbal, written and presentational forms
- A logical problem solver who can operate effectively under stretching project constraints.
- Able to manage and work within agreed timescales.
- Able to use initiative to improve team process and performance.
- Self motivated and Team Player
- IT Literate
- Experience of customer facing environments.
- Experience in the support of production organisations from within a design organisation.
- Knowledge of civil and military modification and certification processes.
- Experience in a position of authority (team leader/ deputy) within a design organisation.
- Knowledge of EASA/ FAA certification requirements.
- Knowledge of current military certification requirements.
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, national & cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cyber security solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 96 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK proactively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I council, Reservist Network etc. and all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate regardless of their background.