General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge.
Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
GDUK are looking for software engineers to join their expanding portfolio of projects in the defence sector. The role is based in Hastings East Sussex but may include short or longer-term periods of working away. The candidate should have some computer science/software development experience and be keen to work with others to learn and manage their career path.
- Responsibilities cover the development of software for defence systems in a team environment.
- Working other team members with Systems Engineering and Hardware Engineering skills, the Software Engineering work covers the full lifecycle from early proof of concept research, through architecting, design, development, integration and formal verification.
- Software development will follow a variety of development lifecycles depending on the project, these may include ‘V’ lifecycle for high integrity systems in order to meet international standards for safety and Agile for complex and evolving systems.
- Travel Flexibility: Prepared to work away from home base and represent the interests of GDUK at Customer and/or Partner Company sites (most likely in the UK)
- Good team player and interpersonal skills: Enjoys working with others and is personable. Respects others’ opinions and willing to support other engineer’s solutions in place of their own when this best suits the project needs
- Good Communication skills: Able to discuss, write down and present technical concepts in a clear manner
- Enjoys problem solving and likes a challenge: Able to analyse a problem and generate multiple solutions evaluating the advantages and disadvantages of each to select and present the best way forward
- Innovative and thinks outside the box: Is prepared to be provoked and provoke others into coming up with new and novel solutions even though this may be inconvenient in the short term
- Reliable, Accountable and Teachable: Should be dependable and trustworthy, prepared take ownership for tasks and be responsible for their outcomes. Be ready to take on instruction and guidance from more senior staff
- Expectation of career development: Hungry to develop new skills and working practices and grow as an engineer. Note that GDUK encourages membership of related bodies such as The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and British Computer Society (BCS) to achieve professional status
- Proactive and quick learner: Never just assumes ’it will be alright in the end’ and that ‘someone else will fix it’, but actively take steps to ensure that tasks within the scope of their responsibility are being done
- Ideally education up to degree or equivalent standard in a computer science or related field
- English speaking but other languages could be useful depending of project assignment
- Proven experience in developing software solutions in a work-based environment
- Experienced in using a Software Development Environment to specify, generate, configure, verify and maintain software products
- Competent in Microsoft Office toolset
- Ideally (but not essential) would be familiar with the following software processes and tools:
- Real-time embedded software, Requirements Management tools such as DOORS, UML/SysML development methods, UML/SysML tools such as Rhapsody or PTC Integrity, C/C++ & Agile techniques
- Additional useful skills would be familiarity with the following:
- Human Machine Interfaces & Software architecture patterns
- Safety guidelines such as DO-254 and DO-178B/C
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.