FPGA Firmware Programmer
You will join the Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization for all particle accelerators at CERN including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) (https://beams.web.cern.ch/). You will work in the Beam Instrumentation Group (BI) and collaborate with many different specialists in the field of electronics, software, mechanics and physics to master the challenges of building, maintaining, testing and installing the electronic systems required to measure the parameters of accelerated particle beams.
As an FPGA Firmware Programmer in the Intensity and Tune Measurement Section, your main task will be to develop and maintain the digital electronics and the firmware used for the control and acquisition of beam parameters such as the intensity, tune and position.
The job will involve:
- The design, upgrade and maintenance of digital acquisition electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA);
- Manufacturing, test and installation of large scale digital electronic systems for beam intensity, position and tune measurements;
- Installation, test, commissioning and consolidation of these systems.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of electronics engineering.
- Design and simulation of FPGA-based electronics.
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits.
- Testing and measurement of analog and digital electronic circuits.
The following technical competencies would be an advantage:
- Knowledge of Python for the design of test benches.
Good knowledge of English or French; basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.12.2018.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: BE-BI-IQ-2018-120-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further