The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join the Estates Team. The role will provide engineering support to BAS Estates during the design, build and commissioning of the Rothera Modernisation Project. It will also involve assisting in the management of mechanical systems across all stations and BAS Cambridge.
We are looking for someone with a proven track record in mechanical engineering project management and design. You will also need the skills to interpret drawings and perform complex engineering calculations. We need someone with good decision making skills with the ability to make technical assessments by evaluating site information and data.
This is an exciting and diverse opportunity which will involve work both at BAS headquarters in Cambridge and some time South when required.
To provide engineering support to BAS Estates during the design, build and commissioning of the Rothera Modernisation Project.
To assist in the management of BAS mechanical systems across all stations and BAS Cambridge.
This post will require the holder to spend up to 0-120 days per year in Antarctica for 3 of the 4 years and up to 300 days in 1 of the 4 years.
Relevant Engineering Degree, HNC or extensive experience.
• Mechanical commissioning lead on Estates projects.
• Mechanical Lead in the development of the BAS Services Strategy.
• Provision of Mechanical Engineering Feasibility, Design, Procurement, Installation, Commissioning, Maintenance and Project Management for BAS Projects.
• Preparing cost estimates, developing budget requirements and ensuring spending is both contained and controlled.
• Ensuring both the BAS technical advisors and construction partners are provided with accurate technical information.
• Production of Health and Safety documentation.
• Involvement in production of O&M manuals and BIM implantation.
• Advising on energy use and reporting. Promoting energy efficient design solutions.
• To ensure project commissioning processes are carried out effectively and documented appropriately.
• Any other duties as required by the Director of BAS.
On-line application forms and further information are available on our website via the Apply button.